Question about the birds and the bees...

MuskokaChick

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 20, 2011
Muskoka Region Ontario
I have a Silky Roo, and he has two silky hens. They are both broody right now and sitting on eggs.

I have 11 Red Stars which are double the size of him and I am wondering the logistics here...

I have seen him mount the red stars, but he is that much smaller, that I don't know what I am seeing exactly...but it is safe to assume he is not getting his jiggy on with the red stars...His tail feathers don't even come to the back of the red stars...get my drift?

I really don't want fertilized eggs from them.

?

thanks

I would imagine that at least some of the eggs will be fertilized. Where there's a will, there's a way! Any particular reason you don't want them that way? It doesn't make any difference as far as eating them goes.

I have a standard sized Easter Egger in with my silkies and have hatched many eggs from her. So Yes, it is possible for the silkie to fertilize a standard sized bird. Me EE's are about the same size as my gold sex link birds.

Even if he does fertilize them, there is no harm in eating or using the eggs.

yes, I guess I am not really worried about their eggs being fertilized...I collect everyday.

I guess I was more curious about if he was actually fertilizing them, because what I have seen (his size compared to theirs) is that he can in no way reach...but then...I am new to all of this

I was keeping them apart in the beginning because I didn't want to eat fertilized eggs...but the more I learned on here, realized it wasn't a big deal....now he is out and about with the hens with no problems

Thanks

I hatched an egg from an EE (green egg) that has a d'uccle as a dad. HUGE size difference!
th.gif
Where there is a will, there is a way!

Back
Top Bottom