Question about using DE

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dmdhart, Dec 6, 2009.

1. dmdhart

dmdhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    I have been thinking about using DE in my chicken coops. I found some at our local aquarium and pet store. The manager did not know if it was food grade or not. They have it to use in certain fish filtration systems. Would it be safe to use mixed in with the shavings of the coops? I'm hoping so. It was only $5.99 for a fairly good sized bag. If not, where can I find it? The health food store has food grade, but it's $13.00 for just a pound of it!!!!
    thanks for any help anyone can give me.

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    If it's food grade, it will say so on the label. There are several other grades that are poisonous to your chickens, and you should not mix those in the bedding.

I buy a ten pound bag at my local feed store for around $7. I'm not exactly sure about those numbers, but it's close. I would also check TSC if you don't have any at your local feed store.

If all those fail, it can be purchased online, though i don't remember exactly where at the moment. I will help you find it if you need me to. [​IMG]

3. dmdhart

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    What is TSC?

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Tractor Supply (company? co-op?)

5. IMHO I would not use it if it did not say food grade on google custum milling or Golden Blend and ask where in your area has a rep. marrie

6. JimWWhite

JimWWhite Chillin' With My Peeps

What are you using it for? As an insecticide or absorbant or something else?

7. dmdhart

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    I wanted to use it as both an absorbant and insecticide

8. chickeydee

chickeydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    if you go to this site en.wikipedia.org and look up Diatomaceous Earth it will tell you about it and what you can use it with and what it does. I use it for my coops and chicken water I put a table spoon in their water and mix it up. once a month . I put it in my yard and it kills the fleas ..You can look it up .Good luck

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  9. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Do NOT use any DE other than food grade. Others are poisonous. Tractor Supply, co-op, veterenarian, etc will have it. [​IMG]

10. dmdhart

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    Thank you guys so much. I'll head to Tractor Supply tomorrow. I'll return the DE that I picked up. I'm so grateful that I checked with you before I put it in their coop!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by