Question About Warmth For Chicks

moderndayhippy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 1, 2010
A weasel recently killed all 7 of our beautiful babies (chickens), so we have decided to get 10-15 more from Tractor Supply next month. We live in MI, and winter doesn't officially end here until end of March/beginning of April.

My question is....we obviously already have a chicken coop, and I've thought about building a box on top of a wooden table to keep our new babies in. Will 2 heat lamps be enough to keep them warm inside the coop for March & April, or should be putting an electric heater out there as well? We will have a 4 sectioned electrical outlet, so having those 3 things plugged in will not be a problem.

Thank you for any insight that any of you can offer. We want to think this through before getting them, and do right by our soon to be new arrivals.

Two heat lights should be plenty as long as there are NO drafts. I used to live in MI but am in MO now and have my chicks in a large box off the ground with a 250 watt light bulb over the top. Depending on how many you have, I had 25 the first time and I only used one heat lamp. If you are going to have more than that, you might want the two lights. You can try the one and if they are all huddled together then add the second one. Good luck up there in COLD country. Flint, Mi transplant

Thank you so much! We will make sure that all drafts are sealed, and although we'll only have 10-15 babies, I'll be sure to purchase 2 heat lamps just to be safe.

50499_000_0527.jpg

This is the box that I used. Didn't have any trouble and don't think you will with them being off the cold ground. Wish you the best of luck and don't forget to post pictures.

Back
Top Bottom