Chicks not making it

Aw2012

Hatching
Apr 17, 2024
Hello I am seeking help. We bought 14 chicks and they keep passing away. We bought a starter kit from tractor supply and a wooden box from there as well. We have a thermometer that is ready between 85-95 and of course chick food (un medicated ) and water. The water is from our well We drink from. I'm not sure what we are doing wrong. They will be fine one moment and the next they can't stand or move. And then the pass. This is so sad and discouraging. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to BYC, glad you joined. Sorry it's stressful with babies. Do they have pasty butt's? Are they lethargic and "pancaking?" Can they get to a cooler zone if need be? It doesn't sound like it's to hot but are you reading the floor temp or room temp? Just to make sure it's not to hot, make sure they have both a cold and warm zone. Do you have any Nutridrench? If no Nutridrench and electrolytes, try sugar water and egg yolk.

I'd get them some plain bottled water to start, as wells have been mentioned in other multiple loss cases as a possible factor.

Some photos of the set up and more detailed info could help too, like what exactly are you feeding them (and is it fresh?), what bedding are you using, where is the brooder located, etc.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom