1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about what to do with wild goose-not afraid of people-Indiana

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cassada2604, Jun 17, 2011.

1. cassada2604

cassada2604 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My neighbors brought home a young wild goose that is not afraid of humans. They found it at a lake and it followed them. They aren't properly taking care of it, not to mention they don't have a permit to keep one. So, I have it in my yard right now. I am trying to figure out where to take him. I can't take him to any lake/pond because he isn't afraid of ANYTHING. He needs to go to someone's personal pond or a sanctuary. Does anyone have any information for me????

Thank you,

Amanda

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  2. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You could call DNR

3. cassada2604

cassada2604 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I tried them. They told me hopefully he will fly away. They also said he is too old to get rehabilitated.

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

If it's not afraid of people, and following them, more than likely it was a pet at one time in it's life. He needs a safe pet type home with other geese.

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Are you sure its a wild Canada goose and not a feral or released domestic goose? Perhaps someone was given or bought a gosling at Easter and found out they're messy and a lot of work and decided to "let it go" at the park?

If its a Canada goose, I find it hard to believe that someone out there couldn't place it. I know they're a dime a dozen and a "nuisance" in many areas, but there must be someone out there who could take it.

6. arherp

arherp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by