question about when to lockdown and increase humidity

Quote:
Usually the problem with water in the air sack occurs during incubation. Many people do dry incubation and do not have this problem. Most do not really need to add water during the incubation period unless the humidity is down to around 20% then it is a good idea to bring it up a little. The eggs need to loose a certain amount of moisture during incubation and if the humidity is to high then the chicks will drown when they pip an air sack with water in it.

I do dry incubation and swear by it! So is there a chance that if it was up 80% for a couple hour it might have condensation in the air sac?

I don't think that your humidity was off. Many websites about hatching suggest 80% humidity during lockdown. condensation in the air sac usually is from during the incubation period of having high humidity then when you go into lockdown and the chick pips the air sac the condensation drowns the chick but not from the higher humidity during lockdown. I incubate at around 35% and when I go into lockdown I up the humidity to 65% to 75% and have not had many issues with hatching. My hatches are either 100% or very near. Usually all hatch. Once in a great while I might get 1 or 2 quitters. I did have a chick pip a few hatches ago and I went to do some errands. When I got home the chick hadn't progressed and I didn't notice any movement. I thought it might have shrink wrapped as I had heard of others shrink wrapping but when I took it out of the hatcher, I noticed it had expired. I did an eggtopsie and the chick was fully formed with the yolk absorbed and not stuck or overly wet so I couldn't figure out why it quit. I have had his happen in the past but rarely so I just chalk it up to it wasn't meant to be. I think that everyone who hatches has experienced something similar.

Back
Top Bottom