Question About Wind Break For Winter

Do they get enough sun in this way? Was this a carport tarp that you cut windows into? I put a tarp over my similar run, then lined the sides with plastic, but I didn't reach all the way to the bottom 😩 now I'm wondering how big of an issue this is? You can see on the left, where the cinder blocks are, the plastic didn't go all the way down, View attachment 3681779
I do not know what a carport tarp is. 😕 It is just a heavy duty black/brown tarp that I bought at Lowes. 🤷🏻‍♀️ They do not get as much sun as they would if it were not covered, but they do still get sunlight. I learn through the spring, summer, and autumn where the most light comes in, and I cut windows in those places. The woods and house/garage also block sun, so I make sure there are windows there, too, because those things also block wind. I was considering putting up lighting within the run, but I do not want them to lay all winter; they have earned their break. ☺️

I tried to find clear tarps like what you have, but nowhere sells them big enough. 😔 The tarp I have now is 30x30 and it cost me $100. The smaller clear tarps are all more expensive but do not cover enough area. 😩

I do not know what a carport tarp is. 😕 It is just a heavy duty black/brown tarp that I bought at Lowes. 🤷🏻‍♀️ They do not get as much sun as they would if it were not covered, but they do still get sunlight. I learn through the spring, summer, and autumn where the most light comes in, and I cut windows in those places. The woods and house/garage also block sun, so I make sure there are windows there, too, because those things also block wind. I was considering putting up lighting within the run, but I do not want them to lay all winter; they have earned their break. ☺️

I tried to find clear tarps like what you have, but nowhere sells them big enough. 😔 The tarp I have now is 30x30 and it cost me $100. The smaller clear tarps are all more expensive but do not cover enough area. 😩
You definitely thought this through, so don't worry about it. As long as they are healthy and Happy. I got my vinyl from marine vinyl. Com. But there were no grommets in it so I needed to poke a hole and add zipties. And yes, it was tedious and still one side needed to be redone bc of the wind. Next year I'm looking for clear tarp on amazon. Some ppl were successful buying it from there.

You definitely thought this through, so don't worry about it. As long as they are healthy and Happy. I got my vinyl from marine vinyl. Com. But there were no grommets in it so I needed to poke a hole and add zipties. And yes, it was tedious and still one side needed to be redone bc of the wind. Next year I'm looking for clear tarp on amazon. Some ppl were successful buying it from there.
My chickens are happy as long as I do not block access to the giant raised planter that we built their second run around. We could not lift it, or the giant tree limb from a previous storm, so we just built around them. Now they are perches. 😂 As to health, I have a few girls who are very bare, but they still lay eggs. I am trying to tell them to stop making eggs and just regrow their feathers, but that is like telling a pregnant woman to stop being pregnant: It just does not work that way. 😅 I just bought them a hanging heater that is technically meant for a brooder, but I think it will work in the coop. I pile it very high with shavings to reduce "living space" so that way they can heat it up easier with their body heat, but for those very cold nights, I will use a heater so my big roo does not get frostbite again.

I hope you can find the clear tarps on Amazon when you are ready! 🤞🏻 I had been strapped for time/money when I went looking, and I think that was my downfall.

Back
Top Bottom