1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question bout brown egg layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by txredneckmedic, Sep 13, 2009.

1. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    I have black sex link chickens and pekin ducks....got one egg today....first egg and it was white. Fried it up and it was richer than store bought chicken eggs and alot more yolk than normal eggs. Whats the probability that it was a duck egg?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    100% probability that it was a duck egg.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:Yep, agree, its a duck's. My Pekin has real large white eggs. They are the best for baking, by the way! Enjoy! [​IMG]

4. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I think it was a duck, the BSL probably would have been smaller than a store bought large egg or been a double yoker. Plus, they should be brown egg layers (Um, I think, I may have lost track of all my birds, lol). Congrats [​IMG]

5. txredneckmedic

Apr 20, 2009
    Yeah thats what I was thinking. Ill post a pic up here in a bit. I wasnt sure what the possibility of a brown egg layer laying a white egg. And it was darn near the same size as a large storebought brown egg....just a lil longer.

6. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    txred,
    the duck egg is smoother than a chicken egg which is more porous. I have noticed that my duck eggs are harder to crack open too. As well the whites being more gelatin like.

7. wichix411

wichix411 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2009
    sorry for the hijack-
    but can you house chickens and ducks together? I have a 8 chickens and i would love to get some ducks again...
    and if you let your chickens free range, will the ducks just leave? do they have the "homing" instinct that chickens have?

8. txredneckmedic

Apr 20, 2009
    I house all of mine together. They even have a little pool. I take my ducks out occasionally to free range but mostly they stay in their pen. And it was very smooth and hard to crack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by