Question for bread machine experts

I've always used yeast from a jar, or in a plastic bag from the health food store. Maybe, like the other person said, all yeast these days is "rapid rise"...

Also, if all you have is little packets, just pour them out into a measuring spoon until you have exactly what you need.

Hope your bread came out great!

I really love my bread machine. I had wanted one for SO SO long, but wouldn't pay for one. (A non-essential, luxury item.) I found one at a thrift store for $8. I was shocked that it actually worked when I got it home. But I have used it like crazy!

Everyone loves to come to my house for get-togethers because I make "home made" bread. Pscht. It's almost embarrassing how easy it is.
lau.gif

Cassandra

If you ever want to make yeast rolls here's my recipe. They're really easy and taste like the ones you get at the local steakhouse.

3/4 cup warm water
3/4 cup warm milk
1 egg
1/3 cup butter softened ( I usually use margerine)
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
3 3/4 cups bread flour or ap flour
1 package yeast

Add the water, milk, butter, egg and sugar in bread machine.

Add flour and make a little well in the center to pour the yeast in. Then sprinkle the salt around the outside of the flour not letting it touch the yeast in the well.

Put your bread machine on the dough cycle and wait. I usually check on mine in about 10 minutes to see if the dough looks right. You can usually tell if it needs a little more liquid or flour. If it does I add it then. Check it about 30 minutes before the cycle is set to finish sometimes the dough rises like crazy and will be on top of the b.m. by then. Form into rolls and place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Alow to rise about 30 more min. and bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes. Brush tops with 1 tbl honey mixed with 2 tbl soften butter.

Hope you enjoy!

Bread turned out okay, not great. Crust was seriously hard. I went to the store today and got the bread machine yeast. I found a lot of recipes on allrecipe.com. Ill try that roll recipe, too; sounds wonderful. Ill try some more recipes til I find one that works well.

ONly think I cant figure out, is how do you get the little mixer blade out? It came out in the middle of the loaf...I had to dig to get it out.

Rolls sound GREAT.

The mixing blade doesn't get stuck every time. When it does, tho, you pretty much just have to dig it out.
smile.png

One tip I learned for the really hard, chewy crust: taking the bread out of the machine IMMEDIATELY when it is done. This improved my crust texture in a really huge way.

Cassandra

I think I may have gotten that recipe from allrecipes if not I got it from recipezaar.com. I've tried lots of recipes from both and this one's the best I've found.

I haven't figured out any other way to get the paddle out. Let me know if you do.

Quote:
Just wait until the loaf cools and it will come out easier.
smile.png

Put the crust setting on the lightest and that will help somewhat. Also, it's best to wait until the loaf cools completely before slicing. Even better, after cooling completely, store in a plastic bag for a few hours and that will soften the crust a bit. I know it's hard to wait when you've got that wonderful, warm aroma wafting up at you!
smile.png

Last edited:
Okay, the chickens got the first loaf. I could have drilled three holes in it and went bowling. So I found this recipe on line and tried it today....OMG..... it was KILLER good...and I mean killer! I took it out just a little bit early, since I could smell it baking. But I baked it on the regular setting, 2 pound loaf, light crust.

Light Oat Bread

1 1/4 cups. warm water
1 1/2 ts. rapid rise yeast
2 tablespoons butter
1 ts. salt
2 1/2 c. bread flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flou
1/2 c. rolled oats
2 T. brown sugar or honey
3 T. wheat gluten.

add ingredients according to your machine. It is super duper good. No more store bought bread for me.

Last edited:
Did you get the Sunbeam bread machine? I have been researching them (my old one fell off the counter and cracked and DH said it was time for a new one anyway!) and the Sunbeam has a few faults, but sounds like a fabulous bargain despite them.

1. The crust is hard (thick, crusty, etc). I rarely bake my bread in the machine, so this is not a big issue for me.

2. The recipes in the manual are terrible; too much yeast so the loaves are hard and often fall in the center. Buy a bread machine cookbook - you will be so glad you did!

I use the rapud rise and regular yeast, it depends on the recipe. Never had trouble finding both in the little jars side by side in any store (lucky?). I also use King Arthur all-purpose flour in place of bread flour. If you can't find that, definitely get the bread flour as the texture and taste both are much improved.

Back
Top Bottom