Question for "Eglu People"

Yes, even as an eglu fan I would have to say that if you live somewhere where you could have more chickens, you might consider something bigger just in case you want to keep enlarging your flock! Since I will have to max out at 7 chickens, the cube really appeals to me. Have you checked out the eglu/omlet forums on their web site? There are a lot of people there that would love to give you info, I think some of the have several eglus, so they can really give you the lowdown.

@urbancountry gal, I do have access to someone who can build a coop but the thing about the eglu that really appeals to me is how easy it is to clean. I have thought a lot about having a nice wooden coop made but I just keep going to back to the eglu.. also, there is no way I could get away with more than about 6 heavy breeds where I live. I'm in a housing development and i'm trying to be discrete as it is.. wish I could have more!

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi Egglicious,

Good questions. I have an Eglu Go-plus the run. Cube would be nice (but more pricey)

My criteria for getting coop were: 1. I can build it myself. 2. I can move it myself. 3. Predator proof. 3. Easy to clean and fast to clean. 4. I can take it to a friend to baby sit when I go on vacation.

Here is my experience so far. (BTW I got it from My Pet Chicken where prices are lower than the list price):

It was delivered promptly, I built it fairly easily, lots of work at ground level... I can move it around like a chicken tractor -- it is light weight. Efficient, you really can do the cleaning in 5-minutes as they brag. It is easy to clean daily. (once you get used to it and know your routine). The skirt makes me feel it is safe from -- coyote, raccoon, skunk, opossum, feral cats, my adorable dogs who sit outside the run and watch the chickens..... The feeder and water are quite large, and because they attach to the sides of the run, they won't be knocked over. The back opens like an oven door (albiet at ground level)-- the floor slides out--so you have easy access to your eggs which are in the built in nest box in the front left corner. The chicken pop-door opens and closes from outside, and it is securely latched.

I got two Barred Rocks and a hybrid -- hybrid already laying and Rocks at 5-months old. No sooner did I put them in but I thought -- "OMG I have over stocked". The hen guarded the water and food so the pullets cowered in the coop. I had a chick feeder and waterer and placed those in the coop. Now a month has passed, and although I am at capacity, there is no more contention and they all lounge happily in the coop/run together. There is no need to put added feed/water in as they all share like very polite ladies. (well, there is still a pecking order). So if you have docile breeds, then I would say 3 standard sized can happily fit in the Eglu Go. One person posted on the Omlet Forum that had 6 in one of the classic Eglus. I also think that the shade that comes with is a real god-send. Where I live it gets hot! And you get cute little 4-egg egg cartons with your purchase...how fine is that?

Even my spouse praises the Eglu for the engineering.

On the downside, viewing is a little difficult due to low run partially covered by shade. If I wanted to put a light in for winter warmth and longer light hours, I'm not sure exactly how I would do it.... I have often wished I could get into the run at another spot beside the end door---but it is easy to lift the whole contaption to put in or take out a dust bath... If you get the cube check out a modification that some one did to get access into the cube run, were I to get a cube, I would do that in a heart-beat.

If your criteria direct you to an Eglu-- then go for it. The time saved in cleaning and the idea that they are warm in winter cool in summer are important. Everyone has a little different set of requirements for their chicken keeping -- so make sure that you use your own as the guide -- regardless of how much cuter, bigger, or less expensive other chicken arrangements could be...that works for them... do what works best for you.

Also eMail me if you would like me to run on and on more about the Eglu--- I think the basics of my month-long keeping chicken experience are here. You are smart to come to this forum for opinions -- and happy chicken keeping when you have it all sorted out.

I don't have much of an opinion on the Eglu either way. But do make sure you read testimonials about capacity (not what the company proclaims capacity is - because all the coop companies grossly exaggerate the number of birds that their coops can comfortably hold). The first of the testimonials that CC posted talked about how, once their 5 birds were grown, there was not enough run space, so they added more. Go by measurements, not advertising. Contained birds need about 10 sq. ft. of run space each...

Coops that look roomy when birds are tiny chicks tend to look crowded when those same birds are 6 or 7 lbs each...

Last edited:
When I ordered my Eglu Classic, the impression I got from their website was that the eglu with the standard run would work for two chickens, with one run extension it was good for 3 chickens (what I have) and a second extension would be good for 4 chickens. the cube is supposedly good for up to 10 chickens, but that would be if it was in a large enclosed run, not a standard cube run. So far my set up has worked great. My girls get in quite a bit of yard time, but if we have a day or two that they can't get out, they still have plenty of room. I would definitely look at the forums, or even call them on their US line to ask questions.

First, let me say up front that my experience is NOT the norm. I know people who own both the Eglu classic and cube and love them. I've had the classic elgu for about 2 years now. It sits on a platform and is connected to a covered run (didn't buy theirs) with outdoor access. Well, it leaks. Didn't find out til the rainy season and then it was too late to return. We tried everything. Ended up building an extension from the covered run, so there was a roof to cover the eglu. I will say it is easy to clean. But if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have purchased it. For one, the nest and the perches are at the same level and most chickens like to perch above their nests. It's big enough for 2 standard hens, only for sleeping or laying, not for hanging out in if it's raining, snowing or storming. The run was not nearly big enough to be in while I was at work, so we built one. Like I said, my experience is not the norm, but after paying the price with shipping for a leaky eglu, no thank you. (I bought it in Spring when the weather was good. Of course we had no idea it would leak until months later when the weather changed.) I found I could build, or even buy a bigger and better coop for much less than the eglu plus all the extra building we had to do to keep the eglu covered. Good luck with your decision.

Sorry to hear about this! I get some water seepage into the poo tray of the eglu when it is raining hard, so I change the bedding Other than that it is fine, and I live in Oregon where it rains constantly. Where I would worry about the eglu is where it is super sunny as the plastic might really start to break down prematurely.

Back
Top Bottom