Question for folks with 4x4 coops with 6 or more chickens

i have 7 in a 4x4 and so far they do ok. they dont all try and eat at the saem time and i moved the waterer outside, i couldnt find a hanging one that was small enuf and they kept getting shavings in it. i also have exterior nest boxes and staggered roosts. so far so good. mine are standards. some ppl on here say 4sqft per bird but if i had Built thatmuch space, i d probably have more chickens,lol. oh i dont free range but they do have a large run.

I have a 4 x 7 Yardmate vinyl shed and I love it. I can put in 18 chickens MAX but they do have access to a run so it is not a problem. Sure you would clean more often for that many chickens but they paid their way with eggs and keeping the bedding tilled.

As long you have your chickens accessing to a large run, it should not be a problem unless it is so fully enclosed that it would create alot of heat inside of the coop. In that case, more windows and vents would be needed.

33356_img_0514.jpg

33356_img_0518.jpg

33356_img_0521.jpg

33356_img_0516.jpg

I have 6 almost 12 week old RIR hens and 1 Silver Laced Polish Roo. These are pictures of the coop I made. I was also unsure if it would be too small. The dimensions are 5 feet wide 4 feet deep and 5 feet tall at the highest point. These measurements do not include the 40 inch wide x 24 inch high and 12 inch deep nest box that is accessible from the outside. The coop is inside a 10'x20'x6' dog run. They love it and so far I just clean the pine shavings once per week and all is good. Because winters here in NY can get below zero the smaller design holds in their body heat. But do keep up on the cleaning. A larger run with a smaller coop works the best for me. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom