Question for Royal Palm Owners

GeeseMama

Songster
Jun 6, 2018
I have a question for anyone who has owned Royal Palms. How old was/is your oldest Tom? (Not used for dinner time) Oldest hen?
Thanks!

A few pics different ages of toms along with other varieties and hens in background of a few pics. Need to get some better pics some are molting in these.
IMG_0325.JPG
IMG_0330.JPG
IMG_0343.JPG
IMG_0342.JPG
IMG_0366.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you! I have been told several times that the average lifespan for Toms is only 1-2 years old. Just reaffirming what I have already researched. Thanks again
I assume that advice could apply to broad breasted turkeys. I have had heritage turkeys live to 11 years. The ones that lived to 11 years were killed by predators or else they could have lived longer.

The only similar advice I can think of is the recommendation to change out breeding toms every 3 to 4 years. That has nothing to do with their longevity but does have to do with their breeding abilities as they lose flexibility as they age.

I have a hen (Rosabelle) who is approaching I think 8 years old this year? I can't remember exactly but my daughter got her basically as a gift and she has been a part of the flock ever since. She still lays eggs and hatches broods every year. I have a special broody pen to keep poults safe with their moms, because poults are not only extremely fragile, but also extremely tasty to everything bigger than them, other turkeys included.

I have a hen (Rosabelle) who is approaching I think 8 years old this year? I can't remember exactly but my daughter got her basically as a gift and she has been a part of the flock ever since. She still lays eggs and hatches broods every year. I have a special broody pen to keep poults safe with their moms, because poults are not only extremely fragile, but also extremely tasty to everything bigger than them, other turkeys included.
Thanks! Love the name

Back
Top Bottom