Question for Shamo Enthusiasts!

Jun 7, 2022
Hi everyone! Looking to chat with anyone who has Shamo experience. Shamos are my favorite breed, I have two pullets in a mixed flock of 13 (most are bantams, such as cochins, silkies, & polish). Their coop is 50 square feet and their run is 100 square feet. I’m wondering if they can stay with my other smaller breeds, or if that’s putting the others at risk.
I have read so much conflicting information online and want to talk to someone about it.

They are displaying some aggressive tendencies, but have never drawn blood. They are friendly to those within their “cliques” and are especially friendly to me. I can’t build another enclosure at this point, unfortunately, so if this is too risky rehoming is my only option.

I have a Shamo. I will be attempting to mix her in with my girls. She currently lives with a bantam heritage Cornish roo that is like her emotional support chicken. She is easily overwhelmed so I am also concerned about the mix flock dynamic. Not a lot of promising information.

I have a Shamo. I will be attempting to mix her in with my girls. She currently lives with a bantam heritage Cornish roo that is like her emotional support chicken. She is easily overwhelmed so I am also concerned about the mix flock dynamic. Not a lot of promising information.
If it helps, I have just let them figure things out and have stopped worrying so much. The Shamos aren’t friendly to the younger chickens, but I have never seen any blood or injury - they just kind of run them out of their space. It is just so hard to find info on this topic! I figure that I have had them since April, if they were going to do real harm, it would have happened by now. I still keep an eye on them though.
Best of luck with integrating your Shamo, I would be interested in an update if you don’t mind sharing! 💜

So far integration is just not progressing. She has it out for just a few bird but desperately avoids the rest of the flock. She is particularly hateful to the Roos and honestly I haven’t let it progress. As soon as she gets them on the ground I intervene. She oddly adores my daughter’s silkies and it makes me think it’s something about eye contact…since they can hardly see to make any eye contact with her she loves them lol

So far integration is just not progressing. She has it out for just a few bird but desperately avoids the rest of the flock. She is particularly hateful to the Roos and honestly I haven’t let it progress. As soon as she gets them on the ground I intervene. She oddly adores my daughter’s silkies and it makes me think it’s something about eye contact…since they can hardly see to make any eye contact with her she loves them lol

How is she now?

Back
Top Bottom