Question for the rubenesque of our female byc

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by southernsibe, Jul 7, 2008.

1. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    Ok, here's the deal. I hate shopping for clothes. Loathe and detest. Yes I have a problem with my body image, but I am working on that. So....I am making an effort to get some things that I will wear out in public (gasp) and not be overly self conscious. Where do you guys shop? Do you do it on the internet or actually go to a store? Places I like to look at that will give decent prices and still have some sizes I can use.

www.jms.com
    womenwithin
    jessicalondon
    onestopplus

thanks!!!
    Rachel

2. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I always liked Silhouettes when I was working and going places on a daily basis. Now'a days, I make a lot of my own clothes ..or I just "live" in my overalls! [​IMG]

3. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    I shop a lot at Fashion Bug cuz they have a nice plus size shop. I also like Lane Bryant. I don't usually buy online cuz at my size more things look terrible than decent, so trying on is a must for me. My other secret is the thrift stores. We have some decent ones in our area who obviously have some larger size donors that buy nice clothes. So I can try them on, they are beautiful name brands and they are Cheap!

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    About buying plus sized clothes on line....

I'm recently turned plus sized (sz 18W) after being put on some medication with 'mild to moderate weight gain' as one of the side effects (try 80 lbs in 2 yrs... [​IMG])

Anyway, I make a conscious effort NOT to buy from companies that try to sell to plus sized ladies by showing the garments on sz 6-8 women.

I mean, PLEASE.... if it looks great on a sz 8 model, A-cup, it probably ain't going to look good on me! I don't get why companies with websites selling specfically to larger women insist on showing us pictures of a size 8.

I like JMS.com - at least they always have full-figured gals wearing the clothes. They might not be exactly MY size, but at least I know it will look OK on someone with a larger bust and hip.

5. paisleycj

paisleycj Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Minnesota
    My daughter drug me into a "Cato's" in Alabama. Wonderful clothes for all sizes. Nice and colorful and great fit. I'm not 'busty' enough for Lane Bryant, so I'm real frustrated buying there.

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    You are a Goddess in your own right and should NEVER forget that! [​IMG]

7. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I recently discovered Torrid. I shop at the local store but you can also buy online. I bounce between a size 16 and 18 and have learned to accept and love my body as it is...plus men really seem to love a "full-figured" woman! Who'd a thought? .....But I really hated the styles they sell for us 40 somethings. Torrid has nice fitting, decently priced clothes that are stylish, yet not too oldish and not too "teenish". If you are looking for something in between, this is the place to look.

8. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I shop at Value Village, the local huge second ahnd clothing store. You can find anything, any size, with lots of brand names, all for reasonable low prices. I have a good friend who works in an office, and all of her clothes comes from there--no one would know unless you told them.

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Torrid is owned by Hot Topic...which I LOVE!!! 20 years ago I would've lived there.

Occasionally, I buy something at Lane Bryant, but most times their stuff costs way too much.

I go to Fashion Bug because they have coupons sometimes. I've checked out Kmart and WallyWorld. WallyWorld's stuff is for old ladies...sorry...Kmart you can find some junior plus which are a bit more trendy.

I mostly shop at Kohl's because I have a charge and use their coupons.

I also shop at Value Village. It's called Savers down here.

I myself am down from a 22 to an 18/20.
    I'm 195 lbs and 5'2".
    So I'm a Petite too. pfft.
    My bra size is a 40C and have a 38/40 waist.

Hope that helps.

10. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I buy my clothes almost exclusively at www.onestopplus.com it includes Romans, LaneBryant Catalog, Jessica London and a few others. Sizes are generous and not just a size 4 made bigger. The tops are a little longer and pant legs just a little roomier than some other places. Occasionally I find something at Fashion Bug but as I am also well blessed I find the cut isnt always right.

I did buy some jeans at JMS.com and loved them but the zippers fell apart, on BOTH of them, after maybe 2 months.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by