Question for those breeding mealworms

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by HEChicken, Dec 19, 2009.

1. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Where do you buy wheat bran? Where I grew up, it was in every grocery store next to the flour and wheat germ. But here I've looked everywhere I can think of - grocery store, health food store, walmart, TSC and no one carries it. When I ask clerks about it, they just look at me like I'm asking where I board the rocket for the trip to the moon. Yet every site I've ever read about breeding mealworms says its the best thing to use as substrate so it must be available SOMEWHERE. Where do you get yours?

2. jimk

jimk Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2009
    Central Kenucky
    You might ask again at TSC to see if they can order it. The one ten miles south of me doesn't have it, but the one 15 miles north of me has it in big 50# bags. I think I noticed it in the equine section, brown kraft bag, but I can't recall the name of he mill.

3. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    The same place I buy chicken food - they call it wheat germ.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Thanks...I'll ask if my TSC can order it in.

Garden Gal....Wheat Germ and Wheat Bran are actually two quite different things. Wheat bran is the fibrous outer part of the wheat kernel, whereas the wheat germ is the inner part that contains all the nutrients. I have found that Wheat Germ is quite readily available (although expensive) and I keep a jar of it in my fridge, adding it to cakes, cookie dough, pancake mix etc., to add a little nutrition. By contrast, Wheat Bran contains little in the way of nutrients and is really JUST fibre. Where I grew up, wheat bran was available next to the wheat germ and flour in every supermarket and was dirt cheap (maybe 20c per pound) but when I looked at the grocery stores here, I couldn't find it (although the stores here do sell the wheat germ for over $4 for a tiny bottle!)

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I have found you can also use wheat flour, chick starter feed, powdered milk, oatmeal pretty much anything. I picked up wheat bran at whole foods in their bulk section, and do a mix of that and oatmel and other stuff. That reminds me they probably need some carots

6. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    If you have a food co-op near you they will order for you. (Tell them you want regular not organic - unless you wan to pay extra)

7. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I get mine in 50 lb bags at the local feed/mill store. Don't forget to either freeze it for 3-4 days or heat it to 120-140 (don't burn it) before you use it. Elsewise it may have weevils! The moths lay eggs in there and then they hatch out when you are raising the mealworms. You do not want those in your house. Totally different bug!

8. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    You're feed store should have it, they may call it red flaky wheat bran. I buy it to feed to my horses.

9. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I use laying crumble as the substrate. My mealworms thrive in it.

Matt

10. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Wow, laying crumble? Never would have thought of that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by