Question for those who experienced hens with Internal laying, lash eggs and cancer

Any laying hen can develop reproductive problems. I think that the consensus seems to be that hatchery birds and birds that are bred for prolific laying have a higher percentage of reproductive problems over all. In my personal experience, my heritage breed birds have had much less percentage, over all, of these problems, but they still can happen. Buying heritage breeds from breeders who breed for health and longevity rather than prolific laying can help, but it's not a 100% guarantee, and some hatchery birds can and do live quite long lives. This thread, and video discusses reproductive problems and some of those issues also, there are graphic images at the beginning, then just info: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...e-video-graphic-photos.1201052/#post-19020612

Any laying hen can develop reproductive problems. I think that the consensus seems to be that hatchery birds and birds that are bred for prolific laying have a higher percentage of reproductive problems over all. In my personal experience, my heritage breed birds have had much less percentage, over all, of these problems, but they still can happen. Buying heritage breeds from breeders who breed for health and longevity rather than prolific laying can help, but it's not a 100% guarantee, and some hatchery birds can and do live quite long lives. This thread, and video discusses reproductive problems and some of those issues also, there are graphic images at the beginning, then just info: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...e-video-graphic-photos.1201052/#post-19020612
I've raised alot of hatchery birds in my life but I hadn't seen so many reproductive issues (egg binding, thin shells, shelless eggs etc.) until I raised red sex link hens. I'm wondering if others are seeing the same?

Mine are 2 years old this year and so far I've not had one come down ill. Time will tell, I won't be surprised, based on what I've read, if they do have issues.

Back
Top Bottom