Question for those who have lights on a timer, exterior run light?

REMOTE CONTROL - I want one!!!

I was wondering how I was going to turn it on and off.

Can you tell me more? Was it a special flood light or is it something you connect to any flood light?

I use a remote control on one of my garden fountains. it was too hard to get to the outlet in the back of the garden bed. The outlet is about 25' from my back door, and can work though the walls of the house.

The one I use is this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008X5D5/ref=oss_product. Not too expensive. I think I went through 3 or 4 before I found one that would work correctly. Some would not work at that distance, some would not work through the walls. I returned all the useless ones to Amazon with free shipping.

If your distance is much larger than mine, you may want to do an internet search for a more powerful one.

No - I wouldn't need a big distance one. I would keep the remote in my little storage room on the back side of my garage that I keep all my feed in cans and bins. I have a door that goes out to the backyard and the goat house and thru a gate to the chicken coop and run. 15-20 ft away.

Is this something available at Lowe's or Home Depot so I can just go pick-up?

I was thinking that a light in the run might be a bad idea because of the possibility of a predator. The run is secure but something could always grab a chicken through the 2X4 welded wire. While in the coop the chickens are very safe and they have food and water.

I was thinking my 12 girls might bored and crowded stuck in a 8X8 coop. for 2-3 hours in the morning.

No light in run ... afraid a predator might grab if I let out before daylight. Not only that but I like to sleep in.
lol.png

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

REMOTE CONTROL - I want one!!!

I was wondering how I was going to turn it on and off.

Can you tell me more? Was it a special flood light or is it something you connect to any flood light?

I think it is something you screw into the socket and then screw the flood light bulb into. Then you program the little remote dealy. I think. I'll check and update if I'm wrong. It is just so handy..
DH got ours at Home Depot.​

Last edited:
My coop is wired for electric and has a switch operated inside light that also turns on the outside light that is mounted next to the entry door. I also have a two plug receptacle so I can use a heat lamp on a timer if I want and also to operate my heated dog water bowl. My outside light is bright enough to light up a good portion of the run. I personally like having the outside light.

Wayne

Back
Top Bottom