Question for you all! Egg with bubbles when candled.

Sep 20, 2021
Within the last few weeks one of my black copper marans started laying eggs with this dark brown streak and when I candle those eggs the air pocket looks weird! It’s a bunch of smaller air bubbles and I don’t know why it is happening? I am still working on identifying which hen is laying these eggs, but no one in the coop looks/sound sick or has had any stressors or injuries. We gather eggs every day so I know they are all fresh. My question is, are these eggs any good with the strange air pocket? I have even tried the float test and they all sink and sit pretty. When cracked it looks okay? Is it safe to eat? Is this something that I should be concerned that there is something wrong with one of the hens? I will attach pictures, and I thank anyone who takes the time out to read and offer advise in advance!!

Attachments

• 246E41D6-3B2C-470E-8152-E1700F055A5B.jpeg
    246E41D6-3B2C-470E-8152-E1700F055A5B.jpeg
    622.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 19EACED6-5F3A-4291-B676-FC18C5D7C8B7.jpeg
    19EACED6-5F3A-4291-B676-FC18C5D7C8B7.jpeg
    622.2 KB · Views: 19
  • EE68FC7A-8342-4914-989C-B4C877AE77C2.jpeg
    EE68FC7A-8342-4914-989C-B4C877AE77C2.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 18
  • F4BBC6CA-7A4F-4AA6-9176-400392EDF81B.jpeg
    F4BBC6CA-7A4F-4AA6-9176-400392EDF81B.jpeg
    337.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 0188A3DF-7C55-4F17-980B-2A9B049F77DD.jpeg
    0188A3DF-7C55-4F17-980B-2A9B049F77DD.jpeg
    375.8 KB · Views: 18
Huh....they look safe to eat and if they pass float test...I'd say they are edible. Never seen an air pocket like that... very odd...what's their diet? How old are these birds?
They would be a year and a half roughly, feed hasn’t changed from the layer crumbles from a local elevator and occasional scratch grain! It’s just bizarre! I wouldn’t even have known other than I started recognizing a pattern with the dark egg stripe that started. I’m going to continue looking for which hen is producing it.

I have hatched alot of baby chickens and have never seen an air sack like that? Did u candle it before you floated?
They would be a year and a half roughly, feed hasn’t changed from the layer crumbles from a local elevator and occasional scratch grain! It’s just bizarre! I wouldn’t even have known other than I started recognizing a pattern with the dark egg stripe that started. I’m going to continue looking for which hen is producing it.

I'd bet that the darker streak is a shelling glitch.
Not sure about the odd air cell.

How old is she, in months?
Odd eggs are common when production ramps down in prep for molting.
Assuming you are in the northern hemisphere.

Floating an egg will only tell you how old it might be.
They float due to evaporation when older.
It will not tell you if an egg is 'good' or 'bad'.
Plus then you've wetted the egg so it should be thoroughly washed and refrigerated.

When in doubt....
Open eggs one at a time in a separate dish before adding to pan or recipe,
use your eyes, nose, and common sense to decide if egg is OK to eat.

I have hatched alot of baby chickens and have never seen an air sack like that? Did u candle it before you floated?
Yes I candle them all before I tried floating them and washing them. We just refrigerate and use these ones for personal home use versus the ones we wash and sell. The curiosity is just strong and I haven’t been able to find any info when researching on the internet!

I'd bet that the darker streak is a shelling glitch.
Not sure about the odd air cell.

How old is she, in months?
Odd eggs are common when production ramps down in prep for molting.
Assuming you are in the northern hemisphere.

Floating an egg will only tell you how old it might be.
They float due to evaporation when older.
It will not tell you if an egg is 'good' or 'bad'.
Plus then you've wetted the egg so it should be thoroughly washed and refrigerated.

When in doubt....
Open eggs one at a time in a separate dish before adding to pan or recipe,
use your eyes, nose, and common sense to decide if egg is OK to eat.

I think (hope) it’s a coincidence that the dark streak started appear at the same time I noticed the change in the air pocket. We wash and keep these ones in the fridge for our own home use versus the eggs we sell. And they all pass the test when we use them, it’s just a curiosity thing for me to find a reason why. In months, we ordered these marans from a local hatchery in April of last year so they would be in that 16month range. And we are definitely northern (Minnesota), so that makes sense too! Our eggs have been decreasing as the days are getting shorter here. Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom