Question from an excited newbie!!!

jrube

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 23, 2014
Hey y'all, glad to be a part of this great page/forum. I am just starting to raise chickens, and decided to start them from egg, which we are all excited to do! So I have a great neighbor that gave me a couple eggs to start I had one hatch perfectly yesterday and was amazing to watch. The second egg hasnt hatched yet, it has definitely been 21 days, as I got them 21 days ago today. So reading thru different forums, I followed some of the steps to ensure that it is a viable egg... First I candled it, and see a nice air pocket in there, but didn't see any signs of movement. The egg was moving a bit yesterday, but nothing today. I did the float test, and it showed to be a viable egg... Do some chicks just take longer than others? should I wait a few more days in?

Also when the first chick was hatching, it knocked the other egg around, so we moved the unhatched egg to the corner of the incubator.... Could the other chick hatching and knocking the egg around a bit cause a problem? Should I make an external PIP to check the chick? Any Help is appreciated!

Read Sally Sunshines hatching info found in the Learning Center. It will answer you questions. Hope all turns out well and
welcome-byc.gif
!

It is such a tough call. I would probably leave it another 24 hours, it's not uncommon for eggs to hatch on day 22 or 23 - some even later. If you are going to intervene just make a small pip in the air hole end, but if the chick isn't ready to hatch it won't do any good. Good luck!

Yea i really enjoyed incubating the eggs... I think I am hooked! I have 6 more coming this week!

Back
Top Bottom