Question: Hand Raised vs Broody Raised?

New Flockman

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 8, 2011
Northwest Ohio
Does anyone who has experienced both hand raised (no momma hen) and broody hen raised have any perspective on the end results? Have you seen any noteworthy differences in the grown chickens... good or bad?

We hand raised a few and they were very tame, if not affectionate. None of our current flock are particularly tame and definitely not affectionate (like the two reds in my avatar pic) but not overly fearful either.

Well, I don't want my birds to be pets, so I don't handle them or want them to be especially friendly. Take that as you will.

I like broody raised babies for several reasons. Mine stay in the flock and learn good chicken manners as they grow up and I don't have to worry about integration issues later on. I also don't have to do any work! No heat lamp, no poopy brooder, nothing like that. The hen does all the work and she's happy to do it. Plus, nothing cooler than watching a hen raise chicks! They also feather out faster in my experience, and are generally healthier, thriftier birds.

Rachel: I understand about not wanting to make pets of them. So much harder to cull when you have to. That is precisely why we didn't make pets of this flock as we did the last... as illustrated in my Avatar by Peaches and Phoebe, out two lap chickens of years past. You could say we had to learn that lesson the hard way.

Yeah, maybe a hen knows more about raising chicks than we do ( : < )

I have raised chicks and have had broodies raise chicks. I have had hand raised chicks terrified to interact with me and broody raised chicks willing to hop in my hand for treats. I think it depends more on the breed and the individual chicken. My silver laced wanted nothing to do with me but the jersey giants, buff orps and barred rocks were very sweet and friendly no matter which way they were reared. I like the broodies to raise the chicks because it is more cost effective. No need for heat lamp and Momma is good at teaching them stuff. Hand raised chicks needed more care. Heat lamps, etc. The momma turns off that broody gene like a switch and at that point forgets that she was the mom. I tended to baby the hand reared chicks longer.

Caroline

I have raised chicks and have had broodies raise chicks. I have had hand raised chicks terrified to interact with me and broody raised chicks willing to hop in my hand for treats. I think it depends more on the breed and the individual chicken. My silver laced wanted nothing to do with me but the jersey giants, buff orps and barred rocks were very sweet and friendly no matter which way they were reared. I like the broodies to raise the chicks because it is more cost effective. No need for heat lamp and Momma is good at teaching them stuff. Hand raised chicks needed more care. Heat lamps, etc. The momma turns off that broody gene like a switch and at that point forgets that she was the mom. I tended to baby the hand reared chicks longer.

Caroline
I agree with the above.

I too think it is more the personality of the individual chicks than if they were raised by hand or broody.

I couldn't tell a difference with mine.

I can see though that if you used a broody that didn't like people, that maybe her chicks would be harder to tame. My broody was very friendly, and I LOVED that she made integration a none issue. (and keeping the chicks at the perfect temp, and making sure they ate etc etc)

Well, I have to agree there has been a lot less angst letting Bea do the life training than when we agonized over the chicks. The pecking or certainly gets settled quickly.

Side note: Bea has resumed sleeping with the kids in a nest box. We've had cool nights and that could explain it, but just a few days short of 8 weeks, they are pretty well feathered now and, I wouldn't think, that susceptible to cold. COuld be wrong. Bea and those two 8-weekers makes for a FULL nest box.

Back
Top Bottom