First Time Chicken Hatcher!! Need Advice for Raising Chicks With Broody Hens

Astrohens

Chirping
Nov 17, 2023
Hi there! I’m a first time chicken hatcher who is hatching four eggs across two broodies. They are due to hatch TODAY, so is there any tips and/or do or don’ts when hatching and raising chickens? Also, if there are any recommended chick feed that is available in Australia, please let me know. We were going to get chick feed yesterday but the fodder store closed early which is just our luck!!

also, when is it the right time to:

• Introduce chicks to feed and water (I read 24 hours after hatching, but I just want to confirm this)
  • let chicks run around the yard WITH SUPERVISION FROM THEIR MOTHER (again, I read 3-4 weeks/when they start showing feathers but I’ve seen youtube videos that have said otherwise)
  • Start taming them. I want to be able to start taming my chicks so they aren’t scared of me, but I wont fully hand-raise them without the mother(s)
and is there anything to know about the chicks having two mums? They happened to be broody at the same time and share the same nest so any tips are GREATLY APPRECIATED :jumpy:D

Attachments

• F712131D-4684-4393-A230-5774F8784D59.jpeg
    F712131D-4684-4393-A230-5774F8784D59.jpeg
    713.4 KB · Views: 135
Hi there! I’m a first time chicken hatcher who is hatching four eggs across two broodies. They are due to hatch TODAY, so is there any tips and/or do or don’ts when hatching and raising chickens? Also, if there are any recommended chick feed that is available in Australia, please let me know. We were going to get chick feed yesterday but the fodder store closed early which is just our luck!!

also, when is it the right time to:

• Introduce chicks to feed and water (I read 24 hours after hatching, but I just want to confirm this)
  • let chicks run around the yard WITH SUPERVISION FROM THEIR MOTHER (again, I read 3-4 weeks/when they start showing feathers but I’ve seen youtube videos that have said otherwise)
  • Start taming them. I want to be able to start taming my chicks so they aren’t scared of me, but I wont fully hand-raise them without the mother(s)
and is there anything to know about the chicks having two mums? They happened to be broody at the same time and share the same nest so any tips are GREATLY APPRECIATED :jumpy:D
The mother hen makes the rules. Not us. Ours our outside free-ranging Day 2, weather permitting. I put them in an outdoor pet kennel though for their first two weeks as we have barn cats that are great with chickens, but not sure about those nuggets. At least after a couple of weeks, they have some wing feathers so can run/fly and they're not so vulnerable.

My only fear is them drowning in water she could bring them to, so check and make sure they couldn't step into it very deep. We use marbles to line the bottom.

You can start handling them Day 1 as we who hatch in incubators have to do that, but all they want to do is sleep their first day mostly. After that though, it's fine. The mom hens might attack you though so be cautious.

Let me start this by saying that I do not have much experience in this topic. I will tag the expert that guided me through my first broody hatch @TwoCrows . So here are my opinions on each question. 1: no need to do it, mom will. 2: mom decides. If she wants to range, they have no problem ranging. 3: When mom lets you. I wouldn't really pick up a baby if mom gets stressed about it. Feeding them from your hand is a good start. Also, one girl might decide to take all the babies. Keep an eye on it, it might go perfectly, it might not, and you'd have to separate one of the girls

The above posters have given you some great advice! The broodies will ultimately make the decision as to which one or both raises these babies, when to move them away from the hatch area or mix into your current flock. I like to quarantine off the area that broodies have while incubating and a bit after hatch as other hens or roosters may not play nice and they can stress out the broody momma. Have chick starter ready immediately at hatch time, I usually lay a towel down and sprinkle feed all over it around the feeder until babies start eating out of the feed hopper. I use chick waterers, they are quart waterers with very narrow bases so nobody drowns. Definitely use the marble method as Debbie mentioned above if you have deep fonts. After as few days I usually take down the barrier and let mom do her thing with babies, she will protect her kids from the others. And lastly, after a day or so feel free to handle the babies, if broody mommas let you, some mommas may turn into monsters though, so watch out! :D Oh and you might want to stop by your countries thread and chat with your neighbors here.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/australia-six-states-and-that-funny-little-island.598568/

We will NEED photos, so get your camera ready!!! 😊

Thankyou all so much for this info! I’m glad I joined this site!:celebrate
I will put marbles in the water and let the broody mamas take care of the chicks and let them decide how to raise them. You guys are right, I should follow the natural process.
For the first day or two I will let them out into our cage only (image attached) away from the other chickens so the chicks can still run around without getting hurt or having any threats from predators. I will keep you all updated with photos, the chicks haven’t hatched or are pipping yet but are showing signs of hatching soon!
The above posters have given you some great advice! The broodies will ultimately make the decision as to which one or both raises these babies, when to move them away from the hatch area or mix into your current flock. I like to quarantine off the area that broodies have while incubating and a bit after hatch as other hens or roosters may not play nice and they can stress out the broody momma. Have chick starter ready immediately at hatch time, I usually lay a towel down and sprinkle feed all over it around the feeder until babies start eating out of the feed hopper. I use chick waterers, they are quart waterers with very narrow bases so nobody drowns. Definitely use the marble method as Debbie mentioned above if you have deep fonts. After as few days I usually take down the barrier and let mom do her thing with babies, she will protect her kids from the others. And lastly, after a day or so feel free to handle the babies, if broody mommas let you, some mommas may turn into monsters though, so watch out! :D Oh and you might want to stop by your countries thread and chat with your neighbors here.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/australia-six-states-and-that-funny-little-island.598568/

We will NEED photos, so get your camera ready!!! 😊
alright here’s an update:
The eggs haven’t hatched yet, and yesterday was day 21. I’ve read that they can hatch a bit later (day 22-23) so fingers crossed they do. At least one of them is fertile, since I candled it once (I haven’t been candling much since touching chicken eggs too much lowers the chance of them hatching) out of curiosity, and it did show veins and stuff. Is there any way I can encourage them to hatch? I know that I should let nature do it’s thing, but I’m just not sure.

Thankyou all so much for this info! I’m glad I joined this site!:celebrate
I will put marbles in the water and let the broody mamas take care of the chicks and let them decide how to raise them. You guys are right, I should follow the natural process.
For the first day or two I will let them out into our cage only (image attached) away from the other chickens so the chicks can still run around without getting hurt or having any threats from predators. I will keep you all updated with photos, the chicks haven’t hatched or are pipping yet but are showing signs of hatching soon!

alright here’s an update:
The eggs haven’t hatched yet, and yesterday was day 21. I’ve read that they can hatch a bit later (day 22-23) so fingers crossed they do. At least one of them is fertile, since I candled it once (I haven’t been candling much since touching chicken eggs too much lowers the chance of them hatching) out of curiosity, and it did show veins and stuff. Is there any way I can encourage them to hatch? I know that I should let nature do it’s thing, but I’m just not sure.
Yes day 21 is not written in stone, eggs can hatch a couple few days later. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to get these eggs to hatch other than go read a book, or two. :lol: Let the broodies do their thing and hopefully chicks hatch soon! Keep us posted! :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom