Question. How long is it safe for a broody hen to be off the nest?

Chickmama74

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 8, 2012
Virginia
I have a broody hen sitting at the moment, but I had to move my tractor due to rain and 3 inches of mud yesterday. My broody hen came out for about 1 hour, pecked around for a while and went back to sit. I am going to estimate that the eggs are just a few days in the process. Was an hour too long for the eggs? Or are they OK? She is a first time broody.

I think they'll be fine. If anything, maybe a touch late to hatch, but that's it. I have a broody who hops off for longer times during the early stage of the clutch and her babies are all good.

I think all of the eggs are fertile. I candled them two days ago and I saw some life! I think! First time candling.

I set 5 eggs under a broody (first year) hen and 3 hatched out on Friday (day 20). The other two show no signs of internal or external pipping but are intact and do not smell. The hen continues to sit on them. We are now at the end of day 24. How much longer could it possible take for them to hatch or does the 4 day lag behind the others suggest they died? (I candled and they both seem fully developed.

I set 5 eggs under a broody (first year) hen and 3 hatched out on Friday (day 20). The other two show no signs of internal or external pipping but are intact and do not smell. The hen continues to sit on them. We are now at the end of day 24. How much longer could it possible take for them to hatch or does the 4 day lag behind the others suggest they died? (I candled and they both seem fully developed.

I am new at hatching eggs so I really don't know. If all goes well we are expecting our chicks around the 19th, give or take a day or two. I just peeked in on Miss Broody and she is sitting and sitting! She came out for some sunshine and to peck around for a little bit yesterday but up she went and sat for the rest of the day! Good mama!

Back
Top Bottom