Question: how long keep chicks in incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rfrank1991, Mar 20, 2009.

1. rfrank1991

rfrank1991 New Egg

Mar 20, 2009
    My first egg just hatched in my incubator about five minutes ago, and is currently in there with 15 other eggs that aren't due to hatch for another 14 days. I'm actually not going to be home tomorrow to make sure its alright in hte brooder I've made, so would it be ok for it to spend tomorrow in the incubator? That woudl make the total time from hatch about 20 hours...

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    it will be just fine in there in the bator till you get back tomorrow. My often stay at least 24 hours until I move them into the brooder.

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Mine have been staying in the bator from early Monday morning, untill a little after noon on Wednesday. All have been fine.

4. rfrank1991

rfrank1991 New Egg

Mar 20, 2009
    have you ever seen a newly hatched chick actually crack other eggs in the incubator?

5. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I havent seen them crack another egg, but I have seen them peck at eggs that have pipped.

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I purposely leave another chick or 2 in the bator to yell and knock things around. It encourages the others to get moving. My hatches take much longer with more space between chicks hatching if I remove them all. I've never had them harm another egg. They have pecked at other eggs but it's always because they saw movement and it's only helped the one that was trying to hatch. Chickens can survive for about 3days without food or water. Most do try to move them within 2. Quail are different and I have had hatched quail chicks harm hatching chicks but never the chickens.

7. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    That is the same questions I have I just had my first chick hatch and it's the beginning of day 20, and no other movement with the other eggs. Is my little guy going to be okay?

8. Ole Mule

Ole Mule Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2007
    South Carolina
    I had one pip yesterday day at 7 pm "day 19" this morning he has zipped all the way around and is still in the shell. I am going to let nature take its course. I will not open my bator I still have eggs waiting for day 21 which is tomorrow Sunday March 22.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by