Question... I should know this but I don't

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by debilorrah, Dec 23, 2008.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ok, so they mostly stop laying this time of year. When they start up again, do their bodies go through the whole "gottagetitinline" thing that pullets do?

I am asking because an egg showed up in the poop tray, but the juvies are only 18 weeks on Saturday - is it possible for them to lay this early? Or is it more likely one of the others is starting up again. Thanks!

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

They can lay this early. Mostly they stop laying in the winter because they have less daylight. If you add artificial light they will lay in the winter.

They don't just quit in the winter either- they can lay in the winter but it's not very regular without light added.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

thing is we have artificial light. We have been 1-2 eggs a day from 6 layers, my EE hasn't laid a green egg in over a month. I am amazed if it is one of the juvies. If it is, it's one of the BO's. The color is right. I just hope they don't continue to lay in the poop tray!

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

It could be one of your juveniles. I am getting 6-9 eggs a day from 18 hens so your ratio may be ok. I'm not sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by