Question of Concern: Chick Leaning When Laying Down

Plushness

Chirping
Mar 28, 2023
I don't know how to best explain it, but the way I can explain it may give a good explanation as to what is happening to my baby chick.

First off, I wish I had a pic, but as of writing, the chick seems to be standing just normally.

Anyway, the chick in question looks to be growing their feathers in further ahead than the others and I'm really looking forward to seeing them fully grow up! However, I have concern on the way this chick in question lays down. Which she lays where she leans to one side, especially where the chick's developing wing feathers are touching the substrate. She also seems to lean to the left while the chick is laying down.

Is this normal or should I be concerned?

I have worry it could possibly be an early development if spraddle leg, but she doesn't seem to have any issue when walking around. The reason why I would be worried is cause for the majority of the first week of keeping the chicks, I had them on newspaper since I couldn't find a substrate for them from where I had bought the chicks. So I naively thought newspaper would do just fine, but I was brought to attention that would be a bad idea and I just, last night, started to use paper towel while I'm waiting for a proper substrate in the mail.

I wish I had a pic of it while I'm writing this, but unfortunately I don't. If I happen to catch the chick lay down, and is leaning, then I'll be sure to send a pic.

Chicks do sleep flopped out in various positions. How about giving them some sand for substrate. How old are they, and what do you have coming in the mail?

Are both her legs spread behind her?
No, both their legs aren't spread behind her. I do know spraddle leg would mean their legs would do that, but they hop up just fine after laying down.

Overall, I have concern and it's probably since I'm a first time keeper of chickens. I may be more sensitive to stuff that others may not see as a big deal lol.

Chicks do sleep flopped out in various positions. How about giving them some sand for substrate. How old are they, and what do you have coming in the mail?
I plan on giving them a shredded paper substrate, I came to that conclusion after watching a video comparing and testing out various substrates. Of course all substrates have their benefits and downsides.

Video I watched testing substrates:

I have gotten them about a week ago and, from what I know, the chick's came into stock on the Monday on the week I bought them. I had bought them on a Saturday, they came into stock on the Monday. Therefore, I'll have to say, after having them for just over one week, they're 2 weeks old maximum.

Back
Top Bottom