Question on behavior and itching

RaniaH

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 4, 2013
Hi everyone,

I have a question about chicken behavior and itching.

I've noticed that when I allow my girls to roam they run around which is I assume normal but often they charge each other and the feathers on their head gets all fluffed out. What does that mean?

Another question has to do with itching? Is it normal for them to itch? I checked to see if they have mites and from what I can tell I didn't see anything? I have a dust path that I made from them that includes soil and DE, could it be from the soil?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Rania

You are asking us to tell you what a chicken has on it's mind when it does some act. I know I will get flack over this but I don't think it is proper to infer that a chicken has a mind in the same way that you or I think about minds or free will. I believe that you chicken is trying to look bigger to the hen or chicken your bird is attempting to bully or to intimidate.

No I'm not asking what is on my chicks mind. I'm questioning that behavior. I've never been around chickens before. This is my first time and I don't know much about them. What I've learned so far has been on this and my pet chickens website.

Back
Top Bottom