QUESTION ON BLOOD WORK FOR A FAIR

my husband and i are liceansed poultry techs. we r by dubois/clearfield pa. how far r u from us? yes once u r state liceansed u can test ur own birds. no we do not have to take more than that class to do commercial flocks. we r liceansed in the state of pa to test any poultry and waterfowl within this common wealth.

u do not have to be npip certified to show u can do just exhibition testing wich is AI and PT which is both a negative test result within 90 days prior to opening day of any show. pa also requires LTI-VAX vaccination for ILT. they must be vaccinated no less than 30 days no more than 1 year before opening day of any show. if u don't have exhibition testing done which is 30 birds or whole flock wichever is less they have to be from a NPIP flock.

if u r a tech u have results called to u as tests r done and u have them faxed or emailed within 2 days. u don't have to wait the weeks to get them back. our dept of ag lab is in state college for my region, it's where we drive samples too. cost of NPIP i'd have to look to see what they charge, yes techs charge because most things the state doesn't supply us with. if u have anymore questions or want info on a tech class or want me to see if there is a tech close to u just pm me. i have a list of liceansed pa techs i can look to see. i can check the other website to see how much NPIP is but i do believe it costs here.
hope that helps,
silkie

Quote:
And where were you last month? LOL I did contact them and she has my name. So I will be in the next class. After a few phone calls I found someone to do the tests but it was to late. She was really nice, she gave me a lot of information. She said it took she 3 years to get her chickens in. But she only charges for gas and $2.00 a bird. I want to get all the birds tested, I only have 20 including my 6 EE's but I may get rid of them.

Thanks for your help. But what are you talking about when you say: You can also build a box. What is the box for?

They really did not have anyone to test? Even at the shows? I was told every state has several state testers and it is their job to come out and test. I am in TN so it could be different than Pa. Our cost is $25 a year for our flock no matter how many birds we have. I am however, still waiting on the lady to show up to test my flock. They took birds today to two shows(fairs) I really wanted them tested before we went. They did have someone at the fair to test birds away from other birds before letting them in the bird area. The test results were on the spot no waiting. Once you have your birds tested by the state for all requirements then you can also ship your birds if you want.

Quote:
No, no one at the show. My DH said it's easier to race a horse in another state than it is to get a chicken in the Bloomsburg Fair and we live in Bloomsburg.
he.gif

They have the room at the Bloomsburg Fair. I wish they would do that.

Have you contacted your area agi rep? Surely they can put you in touch with someone who can do this for you. Today a vet for came out and did our flock, ducks and chickens cost 25 dollars and he had to drive over an hour to get here. Glad we did not have to pay a farm call for that it would have been a fortune. He said it is our tax dollars at work find out about the Poultry Improvement Board for your area and someone should have some type of information for you. http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/ Hope you can find out some information ...

Last edited:
hey gin, i was thinking of going up there to the sale in oct. r u going to it? depending on what day it is and how many birds(so i have enough supplies) if u wanted testing still done i may be able to do it while i'm up that way. i can draw blood for exhibition or NPIP i just need to make sure i got which set of lab papers with me that needs filled out and i can bring my stuff to do it.
silkie

Quote:
What sale? If I got my birds tested get wouldn't be good for next year would they? I would like to go to the sale, any sale LOL. Let me know where and when or maybe I can find out.

this is the info i got pm'ed to me for the sale-

Hello everyone! It's that time of year again! The Central PA Avian Club is having their annual fall poultry (and related items) sale. The sale will be held at the Bloomsburg Fairground Poultry Building. The event will be on October 11, 2008 starting at 10 a.m. The doors open at 6 am. for anyone wishing to get items dropped off to sell. If you have any questions, please email me at [email protected] Please put poultry in the subject so it does not get deleted! thanks Paula

exhibition testing is only good for 90 days and NPIP is a year i believe but requires inspection by the state.

Quote:
I just emailed Paula, but could I get them tested before that? Are you coming up before the sale? don't we need to send the test into Harrisburg or State Collage?

Back
Top Bottom