Question on chick development

Hawkster318

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 24, 2007
North Freedom Wisconsin
Ok, this is our second season raising chicks. We started last year with a dozen RIR from the local Farm and Fleet. Weird thing is, all the RIR developed at about the same rate.

From the first batch we received this year from MMH (Ornamental Layer Collection), we have quite a variety of breeds. Some are noticeably larger than the others, and last night (after reading on feathersite about our Silver Spangled Hamburg) we noticed her comb area was pinkish/red already and she has drastically changed coloration since being a day old. Hamburgs mature quickly the site said, on the mark...

I assume its common for different breeds to develop at different rates, size-wise and feathering in wise, but some look just HUGE compared to others. I'll try to get some pictures to show the differences in size.

So, just for clarification, is this normal?

TIA

I've got seven different breeds in the brooder right now.

The Black Sex Links are the slowest to come along then the gold sex links. The RIR's, BO's, and the Delawares are the furthest along. Black Australorps and Barred Rocks in the middle. I'll have pics on Wed when they are 3 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom