Question on crossbreeding geese

Ske1105

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 29, 2018
I really wanted an American Buff pair but was only able to find male goslings available, so I purchased a male Buff gosling and a female African gosling(another breed I really liked). The plan is to hopefully successfully introduce a female Buff gosling next year. Anyways, I know it's a ways out, but I like to be prepared- when the time comes for breeding, would it be unethical for me to allow them to hatch these crosses? I know in the dog world it's pretty frowned upon and even in some chicken communities I've seen very critical responses. I just want friendly companions who can help mow down some grass and look pretty while doing it. If it's unethical and I were to successfully have African/Buff cross goslings would they be rather difficult to rehome extras? My previous pair was Embdens and my male was infertile, so I never had experience in the world of geese breeding. Anyways, thanks for reading and sorry if this was just a really silly question to ask, but I do appreciate any input I can get.

There are more cross bred geese in the world than true bred. To some folks a goose is a goose. So in the poultry world (not just geese) It is not on common to outbreed to create a new color, better fertility, ect. It takes lots of generations to get back to what you might call show quality.
To be honest your female African is probably a production African so not show quality but a great goose. . all that being said.
Most people looking for geese are not all that informed or do they care about breed. You will probably do fine.
If you want to be a breeder with show birds you will want to find your breed and then improve on it.
If you want to be like most folks just love geese and enjoy having them your doing great.

There are more cross bred geese in the world than true bred. To some folks a goose is a goose. So in the poultry world (not just geese) It is not on common to outbreed to create a new color, better fertility, ect. It takes lots of generations to get back to what you might call show quality.
To be honest your female African is probably a production African so not show quality but a great goose. . all that being said.
Most people looking for geese are not all that informed or do they care about breed. You will probably do fine.
If you want to be a breeder with show birds you will want to find your breed and then improve on it.
If you want to be like most folks just love geese and enjoy having them your doing great.
Thank you so much for your response. They are just hatchery birds, so you're correct they are not show quality. Maybe in the future I'll be able to get some nice quality birds from a breeder and go from there, but for now I just love having them on the farm.

Thank you so much for your response. They are just hatchery birds, so you're correct they are not show quality. Maybe in the future I'll be able to get some nice quality birds from a breeder and go from there, but for now I just love having them on the farm.
I started with production africans from metzers got hooked. You will do fine.

Back
Top Bottom