Question on cutting propagation?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
Hey amigos, Friends!

I just thought of something interesting to ask you guys! I got a bit of energy just thinking about how to use the results of this question;

So... basically I've done cutting propagation in the past. It works. Its really cool the idea that you could cut bits off and then clone it into a plant. I did it with some fruit tree cuttings of branches, and tomatoes. However, when I did it before I had the cuttings inside the house in the window, based around 75 degrees and no higher. Often around 70 degrees with the A/C on.

I haven't done it yet with raspberry twigs, etc.

I wanted to ask ... does it matter on the temperature? I would think that it might work better to have them inside in 70-75 degrees instead of 90+ degrees? But I've yet to actually confirm this. And when you watch videos on cutting propagation etc, you don't actually see them talk about the success rate as it relates to how temperature could affect it...?

Will cutting propatation also work for lavender plants? (Or root propagation?)

I really hope someone has some observations about temperature affecting the cuttings, but the lavender question is sort of a side thing I'm curious about also.

Thank you very much.

From my understanding, it all depends on what plant you want to propagate, but I'm sure that if mold is becoming a problem then 70s would be better. Are you using rooting hormone? Willow leaf tea will work like rooting hormone.

I have a book about it at home, I can check about the best method for propagating lavender later this week.

From my understanding, it all depends on what plant you want to propagate, but I'm sure that if mold is becoming a problem then 70s would be better. Are you using rooting hormone? Willow leaf tea will work like rooting hormone.

I have a book about it at home, I can check about the best method for propagating lavender later this week.
Thank you!

Well previous years when I did tomatoes inside I didn't use rooting hormone and it still worked. But I did just get some rooting hormone recently and I'm anxious to try it out and see if it will get better results.

I didn't have temperature data tho when I did the experiments in previous years. And also its different now. Like before I wasn't aggressive about it. I thought of it more like a hobby and didn't take it serious. Now I'm seeing the grocery store prices go up and all the economic problems going around and its like I'm much more vested in it and serious to want to be certain what will work and how to make it work.

Thank you very much for the reply. And I do hope to hear from you on lavender. or just anything. While I feel I've built some skill in hobby gardening, now that not a lot of things are good in the economy I really want to go after every scrap of knowledge possible.

Back
Top Bottom