Question on day 6

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by acovey24, Feb 18, 2016.

1. acovey24

acovey24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2015
    Springlake, Texas
    I am running dry! I plan on either adding a wet sponge or running a humidifier in the room days 18-21... Or is that wrong?! I'm getting so nervous! Lol

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    It's not hard to get nervous! lol I don't know what those little bators have for water wells under there, but I would think that if you added water to the wells it should give you a good amount of humidity for lockdown. If not and you have room for a sponge I'd add a sponge. I wouldn't think it'd take much to get the humidity up in something so small unless the relative humidity is really dry.

3. acovey24

Jun 16, 2015
    Springlake, Texas
    I guess we will see in a few days!!! Hopefully the air cells will be bigger on day 18 and I can figure out what I need to do. I am afraid I will have it too dry or too wet and what if they pip or something and I'm at work! I'm going to have to stay home! Lol

4. acovey24

Jun 16, 2015
    Springlake, Texas
    Do you increase humidity when you see the first pip? I feel like I read that somewhere! And thank you for all your help/advice! I have never incubated before! Lol

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If at day 18 your air cells are smaller than they should be you can continue to run dry an extra day or two and raise it when you see the first pip but if your air cells are good at day 18, you can go ahead and raise it then.

If at any time you see condensation on the inside of the bator, then you know you need to cut it back a bit, because condensation is a sign it's too much moisture. Other than that if you are hands off and not going to open the bator during hatch, you can easily hatch out at 65%. If you are like me and not hands off, it's better to push it at least 70%. (I use 75%, but I have a much bigger bator too.) Unless you are seeing condensation, I wouldn't worry about it being too high, just make sure it's up past 60% to make sure it's not too low.

You'll do fine!

6. acovey24

Jun 16, 2015
    Springlake, Texas
    OH thank you! At times I go in there and there is condensation in the lid, I just assume it is from the eggs losing moisture! I always wipe it off immediately! Thank you!!!

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    And you are running dry?? Wow! Is the bator in front of a window? If it shows condensation dry then you shouldn't have any trouble having enough at lockdown. [​IMG]

8. acovey24

Jun 16, 2015
    Springlake, Texas
    No ma'am, it is away from the windows! lol! I placed it in one of the spare rooms that has pretty stable temps. Do you think I outta crack it open for more ventilation? It only has 1 little vent on the top of the lid. But I would hate to do that and risk losing temperature. And it isn't all the Time that it has condensation. Who knows! I want to buy a brinsea one of these Days. My mom just bought me this one off of amazon for my bday.... I had told her before what I planned on buying and she didn't unstand why I would pay over $100 for the "same" one she found for like $30! All I know is the instructions for this thing were total crap! I'm glad I found this site to reference to! None of what it told me to do is right! Haha!

9. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The instructions to all most all of them are very poor and very misleading!! There's a big difference between a Brinsea and a cheap model, that's for sure...lol I'd just open and wipe it down when you see extra moisture at this point unless the air cells don't grow.

10. acovey24

Jun 16, 2015
    Springlake, Texas
    Well this morning the air cells have grown a teeny bit. And the 3 are still moving around in there (I can barely see, I guess from the chick growing!). Now I have a question, again!!! I took eggs 1 and 5 out on Monday because they were dead. I was worried about the temperature not being the same so stupid me put 2 leghorn eggs in there to fill the empty space. Well now they are growing lol. I realize they probably won't make it through the hatch. Well my question is this, egg 6 is also dead but I did not remove it as I was hoping for a recovery lol I'm dumb.... Anyways I see a blood ring and a clear round circle that seems to be getting bigger! On the inside. I know I need to remove this egg but what should I place in there to fill his space? I'm afraid to not put something in there. Grr. Why couldnt this just go smoothly? Thanks again for all the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by