Question on day 6

Thank you again for all the help! Y'all make me feel better! Today is day 17! Eggs 3 and 4's air cells are looking great! But egg 2 still seems small? Maybe because it is a bigger egg? I mean it is slightly bigger than day 14 but not near as advanced as the other 2 eggs. I plan on getting some cabinet liner to place in the incubator tomorrow. Right now they are in an egg holder thing that holds the egg in place, up and down. Should I remove this and lay them on their sides on the liner? I feel like their little feet could get stuck in the many holes in the holder! Oh I'm getting excited but trying to not just in case they don't make it!!! I will post pictures tomorrow of their air cells before lock down!

Thank you again for all the help! Y'all make me feel better! Today is day 17! Eggs 3 and 4's air cells are looking great! But egg 2 still seems small? Maybe because it is a bigger egg? I mean it is slightly bigger than day 14 but not near as advanced as the other 2 eggs. I plan on getting some cabinet liner to place in the incubator tomorrow. Right now they are in an egg holder thing that holds the egg in place, up and down. Should I remove this and lay them on their sides on the liner? I feel like their little feet could get stuck in the many holes in the holder! Oh I'm getting excited but trying to not just in case they don't make it!!! I will post pictures tomorrow of their air cells before lock down!
I use the rubber shelf liner and lay mine down. If you have them in a turner or anything other than cartons, I would lay them down.

Okay! Day 18... Well in a few hours at least (put them in at 11:33 am on a Friday). I am still concerned about air cells! So please tell me what you think I oughta do tonight when I place them in lockdown!
Egg 2:

Egg 3:

Egg 4:

All together:

Okay! Day 18... Well in a few hours at least (put them in at 11:33 am on a Friday). I am still concerned about air cells! So please tell me what you think I oughta do tonight when I place them in lockdown!
Egg 2:
Egg 3:

Egg 4:

All together:
2 and 4 look a little on teh small side, 3 looks fine. You can either wait an extra day to go into lockdown, and see if they can get a bit bigger, or not. If they are hatched upright like that there is a better chance that as long as they can get that beak in the air cell the extra moisture won't get in thereafter they pip. They aren't OMG small, just smaller than I would like if it was me.

Is that from too low humidity? Cause I have ran dry! I'll check again tonight on those 2 and then see if I need to add water or what. I was worried number 3 was too big!

Is that from too low humidity? Cause I have ran dry! I'll check again tonight on those 2 and then see if I need to add water or what. I was worried number 3 was too big!
3 looks great to me. That's what I like to see before lockdown. Generally the lower the humidity the larger the air cells should grow, the higher the humidity, the smaller or longer it should take for the air cell to grow. If you want a better understanding read this: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity I think it's helpful. A lot depends on the shell too. Porous shells are going to loose moisture faster and less porous/thicker shells are going to loose it much slower.

If you were to candle after lockdown you'd probably freak yourself out. The air cells get drawn down and look huge...lol

Oh thank you for the link, I will look at it when I am home from work! Do you think they will be alright though? The 2 with smaller air cells? I know you can't say for sure but in your experience? :) thank you for the continual answers to my questions! Lol!

Oh thank you for the link, I will look at it when I am home from work! Do you think they will be alright though? The 2 with smaller air cells? I know you can't say for sure but in your experience?
smile.png
thank you for the continual answers to my questions! Lol!
They stay upright for hatch in that type of incubator right?
I would say especially upright they have a good chance of doing fine.

UPDATE: the air cells are increasing slightly. So at lockdown should I add some water into the incubator or wait until I have the first pip? And also since I can't measure the humidity inside the incubator should I try to just increase the room humidity with my humidifier? I have been watching room humidity this whole process. It is at 40 right now

UPDATE: the air cells are increasing slightly. So at lockdown should I add some water into the incubator or wait until I have the first pip? And also since I can't measure the humidity inside the incubator should I try to just increase the room humidity with my humidifier? I have been watching room humidity this whole process. It is at 40 right now
I'd add water to the bator and just go into regular lockdown. It's hard to judge w/o a hygrometer as a guide.

Back
Top Bottom