Question on eggs that didnt make it.?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Teresaann24, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I opened up the eggs that did not hatch they were dead but seemed odd to me. From the air sac on down one side was like the air sac extended all the way on one side. What would cause this? and is this the reason they never piped and died?

2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    The air cell was just ripped off the shell. Usually caused by rough handling and usually coincides with scrambled eggs. If it's just the air cell that is funky, they could still hatch.

3. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    They were not shipped eggs they were straight from my backyard thats why I found it odd that it was like this.

4. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    I've found some of my eggs like that too. Some hens are just clusty and think that turning means football.

5. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Now that makes sence. I have a roo who always gets in my nests and kicks out the eggs. So it could very possibly be that he may have damaged the eggs. Wow, maybe he needs to find a new home. [​IMG]

6. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:Lol! He could definitely be the problem! Try moving the nests higher and putting little crooks in the coop. Roosters like to go inside nests and dig and chirp. He's telling his ladies "wow, look at this nest I found! You girls should lay some eggs in here, it's really great!" If you offer little hiding places (well lit to deter hens from laying in them) the rooster might be more interested in investigating those instead of the nesting boxes. But the hens might too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by