Air sac on side, not detached

Dlighting

Chirping
Jul 31, 2020
Hi, I have a clutch of eggs I found in the secret spot from one of my ladies in various stages of development. 🤦‍♀️
One of them, a larger one, has its air sac dead center on the side, not detached. I think were at day 9 (?) I've searched BYC and found some old posts on side air cells, but many were shipped and likely detatched. Unfortunately many of the threads were missing resolutions or how the chick/owner made out in the end. Right now my strategy is to let it keep developing and then prop it fat end up and turn it by hand as the time gets closer and it fills the egg. Or should I prop it now and as it gets bigger will grow toward the fat end (?) I'll keep an eye on the air sac and hope for the best. I've hatched 4 batches from this pairing and never had a side air sac. I'm guess she wasn't as attentive; that and it was a hidden nest?! Anyone have experience with this?

That's a really good ? I would go ahead and turn it 2 fat end, but I don't know if the sac will move? If the air sac keeps getting smaller then maybe the lil 1 will make it. I have only had 1 egg do this and unfortunately no hatch. But stay positive. Good luck. Would like 2 know how it turns out.

Hi, I have a clutch of eggs I found in the secret spot from one of my ladies in various stages of development. 🤦‍♀️
One of them, a larger one, has its air sac dead center on the side, not detached. I think were at day 9 (?) I've searched BYC and found some old posts on side air cells, but many were shipped and likely detatched. Unfortunately many of the threads were missing resolutions or how the chick/owner made out in the end. Right now my strategy is to let it keep developing and then prop it fat end up and turn it by hand as the time gets closer and it fills the egg. Or should I prop it now and as it gets bigger will grow toward the fat end (?) I'll keep an eye on the air sac and hope for the best. I've hatched 4 batches from this pairing and never had a side air sac. I'm guess she wasn't as attentive; that and it was a hidden nest?! Anyone have experience with this?

I had an egg with a side air sac this month. There weren't many threads I could find with an egg that looked like mine, so I just did my own thing. I turned the egg on its side, like I do with all my other eggs during incubation. For lockdown, I considered placing the egg large end up, but I ended up leaving it be and seeing how it went. She was able to internally pip on her own, but had a hard time with the rest of the process. With some assistance, she was able to finish hatching.

Day 7 of incubation. The air sac didn't budge when I moved the egg like a detached one would.
1688093608485.png

1688094194010.png

The chick that hatched from the egg (lavender one upfront) and her siblings yesterday.
1688093765332.png

Last edited:
Since I didn't see a lot of posts about this, I'll share my journey in progress. This egg is from two Orps I have, who are quite large. The eggs I get are quite larger than an XL store bought egg and the chicks are also on the large size. Since I thought I had time, I left the egg to turn with the others. My humidity is kept at 50% and I hike it to 60-70 during lockdown. As you can see from the pic, I drew the air sac 6/21 and when I candeled it 6/27 it had internally pipped. The air cell was bigger and a bit toward the fat end, which I thought was good. I moved the egg to my other 'bator for lockdown. I waited 14 hours, no external pip. I candeled and found the chick more into the air cell, peeping up a storm. It looked as if it couldn't move/reach enough to externally pip. I had read (and re-read) many informative articles on this site regarding hatch assists, and having to go to work, per @Pyxis I made a small air hole at the top of the air sac on the side of the egg. 11 hours later, no external pip, no progress. I candeled again to see the chick hadn't moved and wasn't peeping as much so I took some shell away from the air sac to find the beak. Found the beak, was still chewing, I put a little coconut oil on the membrane, and could see small veins. Made sure the membrane (or oil) wasn't on its nostrils, and back into the 'bator at 75%. I'll check the veins in the morning and see if it's made progress or not. Will post follow up! 🤞💕

Attachments

• 20230629_230019.jpg
    20230629_230019.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230629_230517.jpg
    20230629_230517.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230629_230722.jpg
    20230629_230722.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230629_231015.jpg
    20230629_231015.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 12
Since I didn't see a lot of posts about this, I'll share my journey in progress. This egg is from two Orps I have, who are quite large. The eggs I get are quite larger than an XL store bought egg and the chicks are also on the large size. Since I thought I had time, I left the egg to turn with the others. My humidity is kept at 50% and I hike it to 60-70 during lockdown. As you can see from the pic, I drew the air sac 6/21 and when I candeled it 6/27 it had internally pipped. The air cell was bigger and a bit toward the fat end, which I thought was good. I moved the egg to my other 'bator for lockdown. I waited 14 hours, no external pip. I candeled and found the chick more into the air cell, peeping up a storm. It looked as if it couldn't move/reach enough to externally pip. I had read (and re-read) many informative articles on this site regarding hatch assists, and having to go to work, per @Pyxis I made a small air hole at the top of the air sac on the side of the egg. 11 hours later, no external pip, no progress. I candeled again to see the chick hadn't moved and wasn't peeping as much so I took some shell away from the air sac to find the beak. Found the beak, was still chewing, I put a little coconut oil on the membrane, and could see small veins. Made sure the membrane (or oil) wasn't on its nostrils, and back into the 'bator at 75%. I'll check the veins in the morning and see if it's made progress or not. Will post follow up! 🤞💕
And this morning, I have a new member of my flock!

Attachments

• 20230630_075450.jpg
    20230630_075450.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom