Question on fertility

tntstanifer

Songster
12 Years
Nov 1, 2007
Tennessee
I had 5 hens and I just introduced a roo Saturday afternoon. My family and I went out to eat that evening and a couple of hours later when we came home, my dog had killed the rooster. I was so shocked and upset! I'm not sure why he killed the rooster unless he was causing a ruckus with the hens and my dog thought he might be hurting them? Anyway, I've been trying to read on how long sperm travels and eggs form, etc.....and I need to know if I'm right or not. From what I've read, I figure that if there's any chance of fertile eggs, they will be layed next Saturday or later?
Also, any input on my dog and how to prevent him from killing roosters would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Quote:
I read somewhere that it takes the sperm 7-10 days to travel up to the ovaries. I wish I could remember where I read it. So then it's not true, and anything for the next 2 weeks (post Sat.) could be fertile? I'm going to check an egg and see if I can tell by the pics on Speckledhen's post. Thanks!

Quote:
I read somewhere that it takes the sperm 7-10 days to travel up to the ovaries. I wish I could remember where I read it. So then it's not true, and anything for the next 2 weeks (post Sat.) could be fertile? I'm going to check an egg and see if I can tell by the pics on Speckledhen's post. Thanks!

Not sure how long it takes for travel. I just know that a mating lasts about 2 weeks. Sometimes it can go as long as 3 weeks. Good luck!

Well, maybe I read 7-10 hours, but I swear it said days. Because I was thinking WOW that is a long time for the little things to stay alive! Anyway, I cracked open a freshly laid egg and my hubby & I both think it looks like it's fertile. So, we shall see what happens when I gather these eggs and incubate them in a week. Thanks for your input!

I'd keep an eye on the dog now that he has killed a chicken,it can become a habit.I had a rooster that didn't like dogs,and if a dog got to close to one of his hens he would die fighting to get the dog away. Will

Quote:
I will keep an eye on him. This just sucks though! I love my dog, he's a great watch dog and keeps all the predators away. But now I've got to worry that he has become the predator.
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom