Question on Ginger gene - everything known about it?

kurka

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 2, 2010
Does Ginger gene "overrides" the dark silky skin colou, is that possible? I would know more about that gene, how does it work in chicken, what it's doing to them.. I have 2 little chicks now, after the hen that is supposed to have that Ginger gene, and white silkie rooster.. they probably have that gene too.. One of them is brown-skined. Milk chocolate i would say.. legs, comb, everything. The down is looking strange - i had chicks like that, just black.. they grow up into silver ones, and this one is brown instead of black. Is that possible with one copy of the gene Ginger? If the little one grows - how should i breed it to maintain that chocolate "Ginger" colour?

There is not a ginger gene. A combination of genes creates the ginger red variety. Can you post some photos of the birds? I'm not quite sure exactly what colouring you are wanting; it does not sound like ginger red.

In kippenjungle chicken calculator is an option called "Dark brown" and DbDb is described there as "ginger".. So i thought that is a separate gene for it.
That is the previous hatch, chick has a brown down [stripped on back], feathers out to kind of a dark brown, but shanks and beak are dark:
gingera1.jpg

and this is the chick I'm talking of:
gingerb1.jpg

gingerb2.jpg

down colour is more solid,just like a silver chicks, with a little of goldish down on a head.. i'm very curious how it will feather out, and more - would that skin darken. Skin onn shanks, comb is a light brown, like a milk+cocoa or a light chocolate.. So what would be genetics of that little one, if it's not ginger?

No i don't have a pic, i just wander what i can get from what i have now.. The upper one is probably partridge, yes, but i wonder why lower one has brown skin/shanks. Skin colour is more interesting for me than a feathers. Once I had a silkie hen that has green shanks and comb as chick, when she grown up it darkened to dark grey. It was interesting.

The Db gene was orignally called the Ginger gene by Hollander and Brumbaugh when they were investigating the genetics of Buff coloration. Tim

Back
Top Bottom