Question on hatching with broody

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
How often would you let them hatch eggs? I have one that was broody for around 4 weeks till eggs hatched. She mothered them about 3-3.5 weeks then started laying and roosting again. The chicks were on their own. The chicks are only 6 weeks old now and she is broody again? I have eggs coming today but is it too soon? I feel she may need time to get her body condition back up.

She was alright as a mom. But not overly protective. She would more call the chicks to her or puff up but not really attack any others near her chicks. And as I said she stopped mothering around 3-3.5 weeks which seemed early to me but maybe normal

Should I do incubator as planned or give her some?

She would more call the chicks to her or puff up but not really attack any others near her chicks.
Did any of her chicks get attacked?
Just because she didn't go after anyone doesn't make her a bad mother. If she doesn't feel the other flock members are a threat, they are fine to meet the chicks and hang out with them.
The Australorp is the most excellent mother. There are 6 hens total around her and the rooster. She attacked no one. There is no need. The hens are accepting of the chicks and are not trying to harm them.
family portrait 2.jpg

When the weather is warm and she feels they don't need her any longer for warmth or learning, she will wean them. Again, this doesn't make her a bad mother. The above brood was weaned at 4.5 weeks.
What is her body condition in right now? Have you checked her? What breed is she? She's had 6 weeks of being off the nest and active. She is likely in good enough condition to set for 3 weeks.

Did any of her chicks get attacked?
Just because she didn't go after anyone doesn't make her a bad mother. If she doesn't feel the other flock members are a threat, they are fine to meet the chicks and hang out with them.
The Australorp is the most excellent mother. There are 6 hens total around her and the rooster. She attacked no one. There is no need. The hens are accepting of the chicks and are not trying to harm them.
View attachment 3161518
When the weather is warm and she feels they don't need her any longer for warmth or learning, she will wean them. Again, this doesn't make her a bad mother. The above brood was weaned at 4.5 weeks.
What is her body condition in right now? Have you checked her? What breed is she? She's had 6 weeks of being off the nest and active. She is likely in good enough condition to set for 3 weeks.
Some would peck them but not attack. But yes she wasn't a bad mother that is why I said ok. Ok I wasn't sure if 3.5 weeks was too young. We still had some cold nights but the chicks are doing great. She is a Cochin. Seems maybe a bit thin but not bones.

She was my first broody have had 2 others since but still trying to learn. I just don't want to jeopardize her health at all since it isn't worth it. But if it is fine and I can't break her then I may..

Some would peck them but not attack
It's also very normal for the other flock members to peck the chicks. They're just investigating them. They can peck gently.

If you are concerned at all about her ability to get through the next 3 weeks then just break her. Set her up in an elevated wire dog crate with food and water for 3 days and 3 nights.

It's also very normal for the other flock members to peck the chicks. They're just investigating them. They can peck gently.

If you are concerned at all about her ability to get through the next 3 weeks then just break her. Set her up in an elevated wire dog crate with food and water for 3 days and 3 nights.
I don't have a dog crate right now. my mom is using my spare for her dog (well has it but doesn't really use it) and my dog is using my other one. Right now I just keep kicking her off multiple times a day and last night I went in after dark (a neighbors light was on so there was a tiny hint of light but not enough I don't think for her to really see) and put her on the roost and she still jumped down and went to the nest box again.

I think she would be ok but to be sure I am going to incubate the eggs in my incubator and kick her off multiple times a day to eat maybe give some tunu or mackerel (heard this was good to get weight back up?) here and there. If she stays broody the whole time the eggs are incubating then I will give her some of the hatched chicks. last time she hatched 1 under her and I gave her the 1 that hatched in the incubator and she took to both just fine so not worried about giving her some. But figure if I kick her off to eat a bit more than normal and don't have to worry about eggs under her hopefully she will keep her weight a bit better but can still raise the chicks.

As I said I am new so any advice or if I am wrong please let me know.

I do have a broody under my poop boards that I raised my 10 week old chicks in (it is about 8' long 2" wide or I can go around the corner of the poop board and add another 2' part too) that I could lock her in and maybe being locked away from the flock would either break her or maybe she would eat more? But we are getting into warmer weather so have days that are in the 90's (most still high 70-80) so would having her locked in there not be good since she wouldn't be able to get out if she wanted?

oh and i feed flock raiser since I have 1 week olds up to over a year and a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom