1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question on light for laying egg in winter

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yook2000, Oct 4, 2010.

1. yook2000

yook2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    New Haven County
    I have 6 Rhode Island hens. I got 5 egges on average every day in the summer. However, I got only 1 or 2 eggs every day suddenly from last week. I don't change the feed. So I guess it may be becasue of the weather and temperature.
    I tried to increase the light time by a 30-watt light and used heat light (red) to increase the temperature. My question is if I keep the heat light on though the whole night, dose the red light give too much light time to the hens and affect their egg laying? Also I want to know if the temperature affect the egg laying. If not, I wan to save the power. By the way, I live in Connecticut.
    Thank you.

2. tundrachicks

tundrachicks New Egg

Dec 16, 2009
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    mine do fine in the winter with a 250 watt red heat lamp and since our winter is pretty harsh with no sunlight I have to mimic the light, I use a flood lamp in their chicken coop for four hours a day at least. so my heat lamp is on for 2 hours then off for 2 hours. and then the flood lamp is on for like four hours in the middle of the day. I usually get about 12 eggs out of my 16 chickens in the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by