1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Question on newly hatched chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cricketmt, Mar 22, 2015.

1. cricketmt

cricketmt In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    Montana
    As I noted in my intro thread, My daughter is hatching eggs for a science fair project. She has 5 eggs that when they hatch, the chicks have to be returned to the people who brought the eggs in.

Meanwhile, we have talked for years about getting a very small flock, so bought 6 Bantams who are now about 2 weeks old. They are in a box in the house for now with lamp and all.

Anyway, the first incubating baby hatched in the night and is in a box by itself for now, but I wondered when we could put it in with the Bantams. It's as big as the 2 week old chicks now (different breed obviously), but I don't what them to peck at it and be mean to it. Do I have to keep the hatched babies separate from the 2 week old babies?

2. William1hens

William1hens In the Brooder

Dec 14, 2014
    As long as they're about the same size they should be okay together

1 person likes this.
  3. cricketmt

cricketmt In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    Montana
    The newly hatched baby is actually about the same size as the banties...they are so little!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: