Question on Purina Layena Crumbles, it's all powder!

Double T

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 11, 2011
W Texas
Anyone else have that problem with the crumbles? The last two bags I got were more powder than crumbles and my chickens won't even try to eat the powder. I tried the pellets about 3 bags ago, and they ate them great for the first couple of weeks, then decided they didn't like them, so I switched, but it's wasting more feed than they are eating. What do I do???? I thought about mixing the pellets and crumbles but what do I do with the powder still in the crumbles? There is a Hi Pro layer in another town, that is crumbles, and I used a bag of it and the rooster and one hen ate it fine (the others haven't been on it), should I switch? Or is there a majic trick to this?

I hate the powdery feed as I feel there is too much waste. I have been known to return it.
hmm.png

Sounds like the help in the store where you bought it must have manhandled the bags and moved them around a few times. I noticed the organic brand I use has a little powder in the pellets, but not much to speak of. It is also possible that the binder they used was not good, or they did not heat it enough when it was pressed through the dies at the plant. I would complain to Purina to see if they make good or send you a coupon or two for new bags.

While no one wants it to be powder, the reality is that it happens. If you take a little moisture, a few ounces of water, in a bucket, even the most powdery stuff kind of returns to crumbles. For real!!!
smile.png
smile.png

Not exactly user friendly, but I've done it tons of times, just to use up the feed. BTW, the chickens LOVE the moist mixture.

This feed store won't take it back. They are snobby that way, I asked them about at least a bit of a refund on one of my middle sized chicks that is obviously a rooster and NOT pullet like they advertised them to be and charged me for, and they jsut simply said that the hatcheries on'y guarentee so many to be the right sex. WTH?? They are selling them and they should at least give you some back on it, IMHO. LOL I'll shoot Purina a email and see what they say and will try the water trick, I have over half a bag left to feed and it's already been emptied into the bin.

You might want to find another feed store to do business with. The definitely are not customer oriented. You would think a little compensation would be in order as you are a regular customer and bought the roo-pullet without the truth in advertising stipulation. I never heard of the "only guarantee so many" rule. I guess yours was the one that didn't have the guarantee on it. Some people just shouldn't be in the retail business.

A legitimate feed store would exchange, immediately (just tell `em the bag has `too many fines'). Have only had this happen once with some Gamebird Growth and Plumage, and the owner knew what the problem was and had the bags switched out ASAP.

Definitely contact Purina.

Quote:
Hatcheries usually guarantee 90% accuracy on sexing chicks. So one rooster can sneak in anywhere. No one can say for sure that pullets are pullets 100%.

Cindy, you bring up a point I was not aware of. Now you've got me worrying. LOL. So far they all still look like pullets. Whew!

At the very least the feed store should have made good on the feed and called Purina or their supplier to get credit. If other customers have that same experience I would think their sales will drop off because of it. Not a good thing when trying to make a living.

Back
Top Bottom