Question on rooster appreance

jaybud

Chirping
May 25, 2016
Tehachapi, Ca
So I have a mixed rooster that is about 1 yr old now and his appearance looks a little tathered now. When I first got him about 4 months ago he was full bloom and stunning. Is there anything diet wise I can do to bring his colors back. Thnx

What are you feeding?
Tattered where?
Can you post pics?

My roosters sickle tail feathers are always kind of 'tattered' because they rub against the wall.
Roost is one foot from wall but that's too close for Woody's tail.

Here is a current pic of him, u can see his tail and neck feathers r frazzled. His diet is layer feed, cut veggie leaves and watermelon and cheerios for a treat. He won't eat scratch which is weird.

Last edited:
The roosts are probably too close to the wall to accommodate his tail. Layer feed is for actively laying hens only. It is not appropriate for any bird that isn't laying...

That is a bullstag game chicken. Part of problem is he has been fighting a lot with someone, at least in part through a fence. Note his bill. That is reason why he does not eat scratch. It needs some trimming. Also diet not best for him, too rich. Roost arrangement might also be hard on tail causing breaks. Otherwise he is getting into molt.

Here is a current pic of him, u can see his tail and neck feathers r frazzled. His diet is layer feed, cut veggie leaves and watermelon and cheerios for a treat. He won't eat scratch which is weird.
Need some pics out in the light.....a dead on side shot and some top and back.
Looks like his tail (not just the feathers) is wonky...his beak is over grown, probably can't pick up scratch grains off the ground.

It must be molting or diet then, only other roosters r a 4 month old sebrite and yr old d'andver which stay way clear of him. What diet would u recommend and how would I arrange it since he feeds with the hens.

Back
Top Bottom