Question on shipped eggs,Mods not sure if this is in the right section

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HenPen, Dec 8, 2009.

1. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I was not sure where to post this so if it is in the wrong area I apologize to the Mods and I ask that they kindly move it to where it should be.

I was wondering how everyone felt about shipping eggs in colder weather? Is it safe? Is there a special way to ship them so they don't freeze? Is it best not to ship below a certain temp? ect....I am interested in running my bator one last time but I don't want to waste the time and money on shipped eggs that will freeze during shipping or lose viability.... Any input is greatly appreciated,Thanks.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't like to ship or recieve eggs when it's this cold out. Some send them with a heat pack, but I'd rather just wait. If they get stuck sitting on a freezing dock over night, I don't think it's going to do them any good.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I do ship them when it's cold, but there is a point that it's probably too cold. Generally, they do better in the cold than in the heat, unless it's so cold they literally freeze.

4. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Quote:When do you say its too cold?Certain time of year or do you judge it by the climate?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I sort of check the temps here and the destination. I've had eggs shipped in the teens and they made it and I had a good hatch. It was an unexpected temp drop. Usually, I don't like to ship when temps are under 25 or so. It is more of a chance, certainly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by