question on telling who is laying

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
ok to start I know you can check pelvic bones and I did that a month or so ago and both were very wide...... Both have very red combs and wattles.......

So I have 2 light brahma's. I can tell them apart in person but very hard to on the camera since it is more of a size difference and very slight difference in coloring on the tail which is hard to pick up when watching the camera. Well 1 laid for the first time on Sat..... I got no eggs on Sun, then Mon I got one, and Tue I got one. I THINK the one on Mon was from the other Brahma but not sure. Sat and Tue had a bit of blood on them which I have found on most of my first eggs from hens and the coloring looks slightly different to me.

I don't want to color their vents but could I put like blue food coloring (just a dot) on one of their heads or backs so I can tell who is who on the camera? I don't want them getting pecked because of the food coloring on them but thought blue they didn't peck at so was thinking this may work.

could I put like blue food coloring (just a dot) on one of their heads or backs so I can tell who is who on the camera?
Sure that will work. :thumbsup ,, You can also use a marker on some of their feathers, to make the distinction. Final option,, Chicken aprons of 2 different colors,, you can make yourself.
1645646816585.png

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Sure that will work. :thumbsup ,, You can also use a marker on some of their feathers, to make the distinction. Final option,, Chicken aprons of 2 different colors,, you can make yourself.
View attachment 3002867

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
at some point I may have to do Aprons if my roo keeps having a favorite. LOL But hoping now that 5/7 are laying he will be kinder to the one that seemed to be his fav over the winter when only 2 or 3 were laying. Not that he isn't kind but her back is starting to get a bit bare over the last month.

Thanks. I "think" I have it right on who is who that is in laying with those 2 (the others all look different so easy to tell), but I would like to know for sure since I try to keep track of who lays when.

It is hard to see the bands on feathered legs without picking them up and looking at them directly.
That is what I was afraid of with the camera. I will try a small spot of food color and see if I can tell.

I got an egg today too. Thinking Sat, Mon and today was from the same pullet. The one yesterday I think was the first egg from my other pullet. So thinking that one may lay tomorrow maybe.

Back
Top Bottom