Question on the difference in movement over days

Jayson_Black

Chirping
Dec 27, 2017
Im a first time incubator-upperer. lol. (thats a joke son!) and I think I first saw/noticed movement on day 6 while candling. They were oscilating pretty quickly, maybe 3 to 4 'jiggles' Per Second. ("Jiggles" for lack of a better word to describe the movement I was oberserving). One in particular was "Jiggling" So fast it reminded me of a little monkey. Becasue the veins looked like Vines, it reminded me of a little monkey swinging in between barnches of vines or something. Its movement was highly energetic. I was so amazingly surprised by the energy level of this jiggling. I even wondered if they are able to cause damage in there from excessive movemnt.

However we are up to like day 13 now. Each day since day six I have observed while candling, the Jiggleing or oscilations getting slower and slower. Down to perhaps just 1 jiggle every 2 seconds. I have heard some people describe these oscilations as "Rotations" Well on day six the fetus would jiggle from side to side 3 to 4 times per second, now we are down to 1 or 2 every 2 seconds or so.

Is this normal? Is it normal for the speed of the movement to slow as the fetus gets bigger and things get more cramped. I have heard a few people say they can not see ANY movement during lock down.

So im thinking maybe its normal to see the movement slowing from between day 6 compared to day 13. but is this true?

Thank you so much for helping me not to totally freak!!

If you can still see lovely, fat veins they are fine. If those start to look skinny that's when I know the foetus is dying.

I had a button quail egg where the foetus stopped growing but it was still moving around. It was like that for about a week before it finally died. Poor baby! To me any movement is a good sign and some react more to the intruding light that others. Also (I'm theorizing here) at first they have more freedom as they are smaller than the yolk they are attached to but as they grow bigger and the yolk smaller it restricts how far they can go.

When they have just about filled the whole egg you won't see movement but if you happen to candle when they have pipped internally you'll see a shadow beak and head in the air cell, wondering who turned on the lights!

Thanks JaeG. This has been my theory too. that as they get bigger there is less room for movement. There is Zero Problems with the viens. they look extremely Thick and healthy. Throughout the whole process, that hsa remained a constant. the look of health of the viens has always been impressive (not that i have awhole lot to compare with (Mostly youtube vidz and internet pictures). but yeh, the viens look great.

I think alot of my worry comes from Expecting the worst. My incubator is NOT welol made. Its home made. It it was thrown together really fast when we thought one of our Chooks was not brroding properly. (turns out we were wrong about that, but we had committed them to the incubator.) Its Summer here in Australia, and we are in a very warm part at that. WE now realise She was just doing her thing. even if it was like 4 or 5 hours Off the nest, in this heat aparently it is normal for chooks to get off for extended periods :O

Actually you know what. I am going to describe my Bator in another thread so we dont go off topic here. I'll come back and post a link to the thread that has a description of my incubator.

Thanks again JaeG

Still love to hear what others think about how the movement of chicks changes over time. :) Happy Hatching Everyone!!! oh yes, happy new year too. lol

Here is a little video of my extremely basic incubator. That still apears to be working very well. Day 13 :D

Back
Top Bottom