Question on which breed I should choose?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kathryn4629, May 27, 2010.

1. Kathryn4629

Kathryn4629 Songster

Mar 4, 2010
    Colbert, WA
    I am getting three 9 month old laying hens from a lady nearby. [​IMG] I have the choice of red or black sex linked or buff orpingtons.

Which would be the best layers? Is either more friendly? Any suggestions welcome!!!!!!

2. JoJo 95

JoJo 95 Songster

Mar 15, 2009
    BO's (buff orpingtons) are definetely friendlier and are better winter layers

3. millie481

millie481 In the Brooder

Jan 1, 2010
    Marengo, Ohio
    I'd go Buffs [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Buff Orps, hands down. The sexlinks are hybrid layers and will lay very well for a couple of years. I have Buff Orps who are over four years old and still laying several eggs each week. I guess I prefer the Orps because I do not like the hybrid layers' looks.

5. Marie1234

Marie1234 Songster

Mar 29, 2010
    And a BO, even hatchery stock, is more likely to go broody.

6. Kathryn4629

Kathryn4629 Songster

Mar 4, 2010
    Colbert, WA
    Thank so much everyone!! I think I will go with the buffs. Its funny I always get caught up in which breed will lay the most eggs. Yet my cochin that I have, all my "chicken friends" told me not to get her because she won't lay very much. She lays 6 or 7 eggs a week no matter what.

7. chickensgalore

chickensgalore Songster

Apr 9, 2010
    hillsdale,michigan
    definately buffs

8. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Songster

Dec 6, 2009
    Quote:I am like speckledhen I do not like the hybrid layer looks, I prefer chickens that breed true.

9. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Songster

I love my buffs, they are really friendly and beautiful, good layers, cold tolerant, but likely to go broody, so may not be the consistent egg layers that the hybrids are. I don't think you can go wrong with them, though!

10. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Songster

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    if my opinion matters lol I would go with the Buff Orps also, we have some and they are by far my FAVORITE chickens! I adore them, and if someone told me I could choose only one breed it would be them. One of mine is broody and just hatched some orp eggs for me that we got from a BYCer!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by