Question on Wing Bow Color

SwampPrincessChick

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Oct 30, 2022
The Swamp
Hello. If it is one thing that I do not understand in chickens, then that would be genetics, although I have wanting to study genetics and figure it out. I have been playing around with the chicken calculator and I am curious about which genes provide the instructions for wing bow color and how those genes show in male chickens. I have a Cochin/Ameraucana hybrid named Phoenix and I want to know if he would carry on his golden wing bow color to his male offspring if he produced any chicks.

Phoenix Picture.png

Hello. If it is one thing that I do not understand in chickens, then that would be genetics, although I have wanting to study genetics and figure it out. I have been playing around with the chicken calculator and I am curious about which genes provide the instructions for wing bow color and how those genes show in male chickens. I have a Cochin/Ameraucana hybrid named Phoenix and I want to know if he would carry on his golden wing bow color to his male offspring if he produced any chicks.

View attachment 3730331
I don’t know about genetics.. but he is gorgeous!

The gene that produces that wing bow coloring is the sexlinked silver/gold gene.
He has one copy of silver and one copy of gold so he is S/s+ or "golden" He can pass it on to his sons.
If he is bred to a silver (S/-) hen he will produce silver (S/S) and golden (S/s+) sons and silver (S/-) and gold (s+/-) daughters.
If he is bred to a gold (s+/-) hen he will produce golden (S/s+) and gold (s+/s+) sons and silver (S/-) and gold (s+/-) daughters.

Wow, he is gorgeous!
(I can't help you with the genetics part, though, sorry :) )
I don’t know about genetics.. but he is gorgeous!
Thank you both! :D

The gene that produces that wing bow coloring is the sexlinked silver/gold gene.
He has one copy of silver and one copy of gold so he is S/s+ or "golden" He can pass it on to his sons.
If he is bred to a silver (S/-) hen he will produce silver (S/S) and golden (S/s+) sons and silver (S/-) and gold (s+/-) daughters.
If he is bred to a gold (s+/-) hen he will produce golden (S/s+) and gold (s+/s+) sons and silver (S/-) and gold (s+/-) daughters.
Mahogany and autosomal red are not responsible for his wing bow coloring but they are responsible for enabling red wing bows on a cock that would otherwise be silver, if you are interested in learning more about genetics.
Thank you, that is interesting! When you explain the color that his sons and daughters would be, is that just for the whole body color? Because I know that a female won't have a wing bow that is a different color from her body.

I am curious about which genes provide the instructions for wing bow color and how those genes show in male chickens. I have a Cochin/Ameraucana hybrid named Phoenix and I want to know if he would carry on his golden wing bow color to his male offspring if he produced any chicks.
I don't know about the control of specifically the wing bow.

But I see that @Amer has already chimed in, so hopefully that information is helpful :)

Back
Top Bottom