Question on Wing Bow Color

Hello. If it is one thing that I do not understand in chickens, then that would be genetics, although I have wanting to study genetics and figure it out. I have been playing around with the chicken calculator and I am curious about which genes provide the instructions for wing bow color and how those genes show in male chickens. I have a Cochin/Ameraucana hybrid named Phoenix and I want to know if he would carry on his golden wing bow color to his male offspring if he produced any chicks.

View attachment 3730331
What a stunning boy!!😍

How about his overall body color? Somebody once told me that he had extended black but I'm not sure what that means.
Extended black is the gene that makes a chicken solid black.
He has this in addition to blue.
Extended black needs a melanizer gene to produce a solid black chicken, otherwise it will have leakage. (Colors that aren’t black.)
The reason for his leakage (the colors that aren’t black) is that he is probably heterozygous for black and the melanizer I mentioned. I presume one of his parents was solid blue or splash, and the other was another color.

Hello. If it is one thing that I do not understand in chickens, then that would be genetics, although I have wanting to study genetics and figure it out. I have been playing around with the chicken calculator and I am curious about which genes provide the instructions for wing bow color and how those genes show in male chickens. I have a Cochin/Ameraucana hybrid named Phoenix and I want to know if he would carry on his golden wing bow color to his male offspring if he produced any chicks.

View attachment 3730331

Wow, he's a good looking boy.

Extended black is the gene that makes a chicken solid black.
He has this in addition to blue.
Extended black needs a melanizer gene to produce a solid black chicken, otherwise it will have leakage. (Colors that aren’t black.)
The reason for his leakage (the colors that aren’t black) is that he is probably heterozygous for black and the melanizer I mentioned. I presume one of his parents was solid blue or splash, and the other was another color.
That's where I was confused, I thought that extended black would aways be pure black with no leakage so I didn't understand how Phoenix could have extended black. What is the difference between extended black and black? Also, it is very likely that one of his parents was a Blue Cochin or Blue Ameraucana.

That's where I was confused, I thought that extended black would aways be pure black with no leakage so I didn't understand how Phoenix could have extended black. What is the difference between extended black and black? Also, it is very likely that one of his parents was a Blue Cochin or Blue Ameraucana.
Extended black is a gene on the e locus. Other genes on the e locus are duckwing (wildtype), wheaten, partridge, and birchen.
Black is just a color. Black is a phenotype.

Extended black is a gene on the e locus. Other genes on the e locus are duckwing (wildtype), wheaten, partridge, and birchen.
Black is just a color. Black is a phenotype.
So, let me try to get this right: extended black is the gene that instructs for black feathers? Sorry for all of the questions, I'm trying to learn.

Extended Black is the name of one gene.

"Black" is the name of a color-- either when it is on part of a chicken (like a black tail) or all over (when we just call the chicken "black.")

Have you played with the chicken calculator?
https://kippenjungle.nl/chickencalculator.html

Under the picture of the chicken, there are a bunch of dropdown boxes with genes.
The first of those dropdown boxes has a default setting of "e+/e+ duckwing/light brown"
The label to the left of that box says "E Extension of Black"
That box is for genes at one particular locus (place on a chromosome.)
That locus is called the "e locus"
All the genes in that box control how the color black is distributed on the chicken (with the non-black areas being gold, red, cream, silver/white, or various other colors.)

If you change the genes in that box, the colors on the chicken change. Some of the roosters look alike, but the hens have more differences.

For rooster or hen, changing it to E/E, or E with anything else, will make the little chicken picture turn black. The E gene "extends" the black to cover much more of the chicken than what any others of those genes will do.

But extending the black will not always give a completely black chicken. Sometimes the black still does not cover the whole chicken (like in the case of your rooster). There are other genes that can extend the black further, or restrict it so it misses some areas.

[I see other posts were made as I was typing this, but I'll just post it anyway-- it is a partial duplicate, but may help make some bits a little clearer.]

Extended Black is the name of one gene.

"Black" is the name of a color-- either when it is on part of a chicken (like a black tail) or all over (when we just call the chicken "black.")

Have you played with the chicken calculator?
https://kippenjungle.nl/chickencalculator.html

Under the picture of the chicken, there are a bunch of dropdown boxes with genes.
The first of those dropdown boxes has a default setting of "e+/e+ duckwing/light brown"
The label to the left of that box says "E Extension of Black"
That box is for genes at one particular locus (place on a chromosome.)
That locus is called the "e locus"
All the genes in that box control how the color black is distributed on the chicken (with the non-black areas being gold, red, cream, silver/white, or various other colors.)

If you change the genes in that box, the colors on the chicken change. Some of the roosters look alike, but the hens have more differences.

For rooster or hen, changing it to E/E, or E with anything else, will make the little chicken picture turn black. The E gene "extends" the black to cover much more of the chicken than what any others of those genes will do.

But extending the black will not always give a completely black chicken. Sometimes the black still does not cover the whole chicken (like in the case of your rooster). There are other genes that can extend the black further, or restrict it so it misses some areas.

[I see other posts were made as I was typing this, but I'll just post it anyway-- it is a partial duplicate, but may help make some bits a little clearer.]
That clears up some thing. I stated in the post I have been using the chicken calculator, but I wasn't aware there was a box. I will be trying that out.

Back
Top Bottom