question Pic added!

kburen

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
One of the chicks that I hatched was slightly shrink-wrapped. I was able to wet it with warm water and pick off the shell and some more membrane. It's been back in the incubator since yesterday afternoon. It's fluffed out in some spots, but I can tell that it's still got membrane on it in other places. Will it be okay if I put warm water on it some more to try to loosen the membrane and pick it off? I assume it'll be best to put it back in the incubator if I do that? It seems fine other than that....It walks around the incubator and chirps often.

Last edited:
My last hatch, I had to help a shrink wrapped chick and she had stuff stuck to her for the first day. After a day in the brooder, I gave her a warm bath and cleaned her up, dried her off and she was great. Of course, she screamed bloody murder when I was cleaning and drying her
gig.gif
But I kept her warm and she did fine.

Ok, so I tried again yesterday to get more off...It's just not happening. I put it in the brooder a few minutes ago with the other chicks to see what happens. Here's what it looks like:

0614111607.jpg
There's just so much membrane left on it, it can't fluff and feather out. Will it be okay? Should I keep trying every day?

Quote:
I agree. I have taken the chick to the sink with warm water running and a warm wet wash cloth and gently rub the spot where the ick is, then I dry it off carefully (some people have used a hair dryer on low warm air) and put it either in the incubator, if it is still running or the brooder in the warmest spot. The chick turned out fine.

I run some warm water into a sink or basin - think baby bath warm - and gently wash the chick's body until the goo is off, then let them dry in a little box in the brooder (so that the other chicks don't pick at them). Just be careful to keep the head above water.

Well....After 3 warm baths (3 different days) the goo was still not coming off. I put it in the brooder with the other guys (and used a bandaid to try to fix his toes because they are curled under on one foot) and was worried that the other guys would pick at it. Well, they did, but it hasn't hurt it.....They've actually been able to pick almost all of the goo off of him/her!
smile.png
It's a bit smaller than the others...But they are all getting along and snuggling together.
smile.png

we had one we helped out with a piece of membrane stuck to his back. shortly after being under the light in the brooder, the others picked the junk off and he was as clean as the others within a day or so

Back
Top Bottom