Question: POLISH gender

Floc Quebecois

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 3, 2011
Montreal
Hey everyone!

I've noticed this morning that Paulinsky, our golden laced polish, seems to have new feathers on her tail coming out... And seems like the tips are blue in the sunlight! Is it a clear sign she's a "he" or polish hens also can get colored tail feathers?

I find really hard to sex our chicks since we have a mixed breeds flock: no comparison possible...

Thanks for your help!

I am pretty sure this was a golden laced Polish, excuse me if I'm wrong but here are pictures, see if they look anything like yours:

86324_genderpolish1.jpg

86324_genderpolish2.jpg

Turned out to be a male. Of the 3 Polish chicks I bought from the feed store all of them died, including this guy. First one got trampled to death at about a week old, second mysteriously dropped dead and unfortunately for this little fella a raccoon got him. I was an amateur and under the impression a staple gun was a secure enough tool to keep raccoons out. Yeah, no. 4th night out there a raccoon pried the staples out and grabbed him.

Quote:
How old is the bird? Our 17 week old Polish golden laced roo has the iridescent tail feathers. We have pictures of him from the time he was a couple of days old - if you tell me how old yours is, I can post a picture of ours at the same age.

Quote:
How old is the bird? Our 17 week old Polish golden laced roo has the iridescent tail feathers. We have pictures of him from the time he was a couple of days old - if you tell me how old yours is, I can post a picture of ours at the same age.

Sweet!
She is around 12 weeks...
I'll try to get some good pics of her and see what you guys think...

Quote:
Yes, he was a golden laced polish...
Your story is sooooo sad! We found one chick dead one morning... No reason why the poor little thing died but it was a very sad morning!
As for my Paulinisky, she is way lighter in her colouring then your little guy was...

My GLP is about 3 months old and is clearly a rooster. He has beautiful golden hackles and longer trailing head feathers, not to mention he tried (rather pitifully) to crow yesterday.

Here is our GLP at 12 weeks. He rules the roost and has been crowing since he was 8 weeks old. I am also including a picture of Rosie, our wheat pullet at the same age. You can see how much softer Rosie's crest is. I will admit, it is very hard to tell - we also have a white crested black and a splash, both boys, but only one is crowing, and up until 12 weeks, we thought they were girls.

90403_stevie_august_5_2011.jpg

90403_rosie2.jpg

Quote:
One thing that really helps in sexing Polish, and I can definitely see in these images, is color.

If the bird is White Crested Blue, Gold or Buff Laced, look on the back or wing shoulders for any little feathers that appear darker, richer, or shinier. Automatic boy.

If the bird is Silver Laced or White Crested Black - Look for any truly shiny feathers there.

The pics I quoted show a gold laced male with obvious deep red feathers just peaking from the back. Those are his saddle feathers coming in. People think saddle feathers on a young male are the pointed ones, no, they're just little babies on the back, but they're easily recognized by their glossiness and color.
smile.png

Last edited:
2011-09-06%25252014.16.27.jpg

294250_10150374765700129_544260128_10364590_1752235708_n.jpg

Well.. I checked his/her back... couldn't find any special feathers...
Here're some photos..

. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance... This is so helpful... avoiding crowing is a pretty major priority in montreal...

Back
Top Bottom