Question RE: Brooder Temp

BBowe

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2015
So I've got ducklings coming and have been cleaning out and upgrading the brooder. My old cheapo thermometer died so I replaced it with a couple remote sensor units and a thermostat also with a remote sensor probe. My intention was to place the thermostat sensor (which would control a Ceramic Heater Element that would automatically turn on/off within a specified range) about 2-3 inches above the substrate (approximate duckling height). The CHE would be supplemental heating in case the 250 IR bulb couldn't keep up. I was getting vastly differing temperature readings and realized that the other 2 probes were actually touching the substrate, which was hotter than the ambient air temp. So my question is: which temperature should I be referencing? The ambient air temp or the substrate which is considerably warmer? I think if I got the ambient temp up to 90 the substrate (pine chips) would be uncomfortably warm. Which should I monitor and set the thermostat to? Any insight would be hugely appreciated. Thank you!

So I've got ducklings coming and have been cleaning out and upgrading the brooder. My old cheapo thermometer died so I replaced it with a couple remote sensor units and a thermostat also with a remote sensor probe. My intention was to place the thermostat sensor (which would control a Ceramic Heater Element that would automatically turn on/off within a specified range) about 2-3 inches above the substrate (approximate duckling height). The CHE would be supplemental heating in case the 250 IR bulb couldn't keep up. I was getting vastly differing temperature readings and realized that the other 2 probes were actually touching the substrate, which was hotter than the ambient air temp. So my question is: which temperature should I be referencing? The ambient air temp or the substrate which is considerably warmer? I think if I got the ambient temp up to 90 the substrate (pine chips) would be uncomfortably warm. Which should I monitor and set the thermostat to? Any insight would be hugely appreciated. Thank you!
You need to measure the temperature at the bedding level. If you set it to measure the air temperature, your bedding will get too hot.

I can't imagine how you'd keep a sensor in the right place without the birds messing it up.
Might be better to go back to old school brooder management.

I can't imagine how you'd keep a sensor in the right place without the birds messing it up.
Might be better to go back to old school brooder management.
They do like to drag a temperature sensor around if it is not secured in place. One of the temperature sensors that I use is wired in place below the brooder heater. The other one is laying on the brooder floor but has its connecting wire running under the feeder. They can move that one around a little but not far enough to be out of the area that is being monitored. The one under the brooder heater is connected to the PID temperature controller and does an excellent job.

They do like to drag a temperature sensor around if it is not secured in place. One of the temperature sensors that I use is wired in place below the brooder heater. The other one is laying on the brooder floor but has its connecting wire running under the feeder. They can move that one around a little but not far enough to be out of the area that is being monitored. The one under the brooder heater is connected to the PID temperature controller and does an excellent job.
Do you have any threads/articles showing your brooder set up?

Do you have any threads/articles showing your brooder set up?
Of course not.

It has changed a little from these since this particular thermostat burned out, but it is the same brooder heater and now the temperature probe for the heater is taped to a wire to keep it in place.
1583968863380.jpeg

1583968918620.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom